Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 Suburban Airbag Light.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Vincentiroc, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Vincentiroc

Vincentiroc New Member

New and first time posting on the this site. Where is the sensor under the dash to fix or replace the Airbag control? What does it look like?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you looking for the impact sensor? Those are under the front of the truck on the frame rail or in the frame horn. What kind of issue are you having?

3. Vincentiroc

Vincentiroc New Member

The airbag light is on. Want to turn it off the right way.

4. Pikey

The best way to fix it is find a place with an techII scan tool that has the capability to scan the SIR system. Autozone can not do this. I had a SIR light and it turned out to be a bad frontal impact sensor. It was $80.

5. Vincentiroc

Vincentiroc New Member

I had about 3 from the junkyard and no changes. One day I had to wiggle the wires under the dash and the airbag light came on. Something under the dash triggered the light. CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT WAS . Any clues?

6. Pikey

Just out of curiosity, does your horn still work? There is a wire harness that runs up the steering column and ends at a special mechanical unit called a Clock spring or SIR coil. There is basically a ribbon cable in the unit right under the steering wheel. This allows connections for things like your air bag and horn to turn without breaking when you turn your steering wheel. I suspect that you somehow disconnected the connector for the clock spring. Either disconnected it or damaged an airbag wire. that is why I asked about the horn working. If you disconnected the connector somehow then neither the airbag or the horn will work. The air bag wires are yellow, a thick yellow wire. You can crawl under the dash and start looking for the thick yellow wire. Follow it to where it connects. Check the connection. By all means do not poke it with anything to test it.

7. Vincentiroc

Vincentiroc New Member

Yes my horn still works. I did see the yellow wires but did know where they go to. Thanks! I'll ckeck tomorrow.

8. Pikey

Please be careful! Messing with those wires can result in your airbag deploying. I suggest disconnecting the battery, waiting at least 15 minutes for the capacitor to discharge and then fiddling with them. Reconnect the battery when you are done and see if the light is still on.

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

This thread is getting suspenseful now. Will the airbag go off or not? J/k ... be safe doing this.

10. Pikey

lol! I have seen it happen more than once. One time was on a brand new VW. not fun. That guy lost his job.