Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 Suburban brake drum sizes

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bredin, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

Hey all,

I need to change drums and shoes on my '99 Suburban.
    My shoes are 13 1/2" and Autozone has these, but when I look for the All in one kit for the K1500 they list a 10" and a 11 5/32" and not a 13", this is listed under the K2500... should I get the 13" all in one kit then even though it is listed for the 2500?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you sure you are measuring correctly? The shoe size refers to the inside diameter of the drum, not the length of the shoe.

Just for fun, how many bolts holding your rear diff cover on?

3. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

Good question lol let me see if I am able to get under there to look.

The reason why I am saying 13" is because I took it to the local repair shop and they said that it was a 13". But then again, they wait $850 (yes USD) to change front rotors & pads and rear drums and shoes...

10 bolt rear diff, so 8 1/2"

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

dia. and width of shoes some drums went wider instead of larger dia. for heavy app.

5. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

most of the burbans have 11 inch drums the main difference in the 10 and 11inch drums are the pads are longer and thicker quite noticeably if you compare em directly if your pads are 2 1/2 inches wide then you got 10 inch drums if there 2 3/4 wide then there 11 inch drums then for 13in drums there 2 1/2 in wide