1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'99 suburban door rattle???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by FergusonT, Aug 19, 2010.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I am in the market for new shocks on my '99 suburban k1500, so for now it gets kind of noisy and rough on the back roads that I commute to work on every day. Every once in a while going through some rough stuff I will get this noise that sounds like something is loose in my drivers door. I have inspected the door panel and the window and the latch and it all seems to be intact and solid. I'm sure there is something loose on the inside of that door panel but I just want to know if anybody has had this similar issue, is it worth it to peel the door panel off and see what it is?? All my power window/lock controls are in working order and mounted correctly....It's like that one thing you have been trying to remember all day and its bugging the heck out of you....just gotta know what it is.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Only one way to find out, take the panel off. It's not that hard, then you will have peace of mind.

3. metaled05

metaled05 New Member

FYI when it comes to taking out the door handle rods, they can be a pain. Like mine where kinda rusted on and I thought I was going to break something. Fortunately I didnt!

4. FergusonT

But I dont wanna take the door panel off!!! lol....im gonna have to...last night it did it all the way home, maybe i'll get on it this weekend

5. silveradotrailblazer

You gotta do what you gotto do. LOL Good luck this weekend, just take your time its not that hard.

6. Brain's 97 Diesel

Brain's 97 Diesel New Member

Before you take the door apart, open the door all the way and pick up on the lower rear corner of the door. If it moves or wiggles your door pin bushings & possibly the pins are shot. The ratteling is the door moving around at the hinge because the bushings are egged and there is too much slop for the pins. Get a replacement set of bushings & pins from the dealer or a parts whearhouse not hard to replace as long as the hing has not started to wear as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  7. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ferg- If I recall correctly the door panels come off relatively easily and aren't as bad as others I've had to mess with. Make sure you have a flash light, it will help a lot, even in the brightest day/shop/garage, and it's pretty easy to see everything inside the door. Getting an arm in there to do things is a different story.... not too many good sized holes and you'll definitely have to pretzel your arm a little if you have to reach way in there, but it's doable. There is an inner frame to the door, behind the interior panel, that you can, at least, unscrew to loosen it and it will make reaching in a little easier.

Good luck...let us know how it goes! I have a rattle in the door as well...I think you may have just put me in the mood to go mess with the truck!

8. FergusonT

Yeah that was actually the first thing I did the first time I noticed the problem...but its solid. The door closes/latches fine too...Looks like im gonna get in there on sunday and see whats goin on in there. For some reason thats one of the first things I do when I am buying a used vehicle....lift up on all the doors to see if anythings loose. I guess that could tell a lot about a vehicle..

Just a side story, the other day my wife took my s10 out back and she rolled my passenger window down, which came out of the track...I got so frustrated because for some reason I just couldnt get it back in the track...i went in and got my sledge hammer and beat the passenger door in pretty bad. It felt kinda good, the window shattered. Just gives me an excuse to find a whole new door at a junk yard or something.

9. silveradotrailblazer

Well as long as the S-10 door beating made you feel better than it was worth it.

10. metaled05

metaled05 New Member

Yeah beat the s10, just dont touch the suburban. =) I have everything off of my door panel(waiting for parts), so if you need pics or anything lemme know. 93 Chevy Suburban K1500