99 suburban no power at brake switch

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by goatridder, Jul 30, 2012.

1. goatridder

goatridder New Member

i have no brake lights or third brake light on my 99 suburban. i have checked all fuses,replaced the brake switch more times than you can imagine. i have replaced the turn/haz. switch after breaking the hazard button off. i have now discovered that i have no power at the brake switch. where do i go to find out where the power comes from. and yes my fuses are good. HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

goatrider, I do not have a diagram for a '99 Burb; however, I can tell you this:

One fuse (usually under the hood) provides power to the brake light switch. From the brake light switch, there will be 2, maybe 3, maybe 4 fuses to feed the stop lamps (there is a number of fuses, to fuse the different lights, so that if there is a short in one side (the other side will work).

But, as I said, the power for all of the brake lights must go through the brake light switch first. If you have no power at the switch, there are only 2 possible areas where there can be a problem. The wiring between the fuse panel and the switch, or the fuse in the fuse panel. If the fuse is good (and you must check it with an ohm meter before you will convince me), check the tension against the fuse legs as it is pushed into the holder.

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you with us. :glasses:

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great: Sadly I'm not a brake expert but it looks like you're getting some good direction, already.

5. goatridder

goatridder New Member

Now I have a direct short. As soon As I push the brake pedal the fuse blows. One of the pink wires on the harness of the brake switch is reading ground. Can anyone give me the color order for the wiring harness for the swith.

6. RayVoy

I don't have a diagram, but let's see what we can do.

One side of the switch goes to 12v via the fuse. The fuse holds until you press the pedal, the ground is on the load (lights) side.

You can tell the power lead by replacing the fuse and metering the wires, the one with 12v is the power side of the circuit. The other wire(s) are the load.

It sounds like you have all ready done this work and the load is(are) pink wire(s).

There may be more than one pink wire (there may be more than one load wire and they may not be pink).

The load side should have at least one wire going to the lights, there may be one going to the flasher, there may be one going to the cruse control circuit.

Can you tell me what you have in the way of wires?

7. goatridder

goatridder New Member

RayVoy I do have two pink wires going to the brake switch. But what are the other colors so I can double check all of them.

8. goatridder

goatridder New Member

I've been driving without brake lights and dodging the police. Need to fix ASAP.

9. RayVoy

I have no idea, as I said in my first post, I don't have a diagram. The diagrams I have (GM trucks that I have owned) all have different colours, none of them have any pink wires. Why wouldn't GM standardize on colours.

Anyway, I was asking you to tell me the colour of the different wires on the switch.

You must have a cut wire somewhere, if you can find the wire(s) leaving the switch trace them with your hand and eyes to see if there are any bare, or pinched.