'99 Suburban push-button 4WD transfer case cross reference Q

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bmonnig, Aug 17, 2008.

  1. bmonnig

    bmonnig New Member


    I've got a '99 GMC Suburban. 350, auto, 4wd, 3.73 limited-slip rear, and push-button 4wd. The transfer case on the truck is cracked significantly, and it won't hold oil. As such, I'm looking for a replacement transfer case.

    My question is, which transfer cases will work?

    Based on the numbers, I'm coming up with a NP 246 model. The build codes in the glove box show NP8. The information on the transfer case reads:

    246 GM
    1501 7912 NP8

    Serial # 219983


    Does the push-button 4wd matter at all? Can I just find any NP246 out of a GM truck, and bolt that puppy in? Any assistance would be most appreciated.
  2. bmonnig

    bmonnig New Member

    22 views. Can anyone offer any input? Even a pointer in the right direction would be appreciated! :)
  3. 04sierracrewcab

    04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    since the master tec guys have said nothing...
    id try asking that question to the dealer or possibly going to a junkyard and finding the same # that is on the t case
    not alot of help but hope its a start
  4. bandit3278

    bandit3278 New Member

    I'm having the same problem. You can get a replacement housing and all internal parts. but as far as a replacement transfer case, if you want to stay with the auto transfer case, you have to be in a 1999 or later full size 4x4 with the auto 4x4 push-button selector. A great place to look is www.pullapart.com . The only problem is that they list vehicles they have, not parts available. Another great site is www.car-part.com , which is the national used parts system that junk yards used. It will give you list of parts available by distance from a zip code, price, parts grade, etc. If you find out if the transfer case can be changed out with a np261 (push button but no auto 4x4 function), please let me know.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos