1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 Suburban tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cdmax, Oct 28, 2007.

1. cdmax

cdmax New Member

What are the best type and brand tires for winter highway driving with some snow?
  2. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

A lot of opinions can be had, this is mine! I live out on Long Island in NY, we can get the full range of snow and ice. For many years I used full blown snow tires but found them to be very bad on ice, a friend recommended the Michlien LT's all seasons. The are great on ice and surprisingly good in the snow, they are on my 97 two drive sub with posi. Hope that helps with your thoughts, and yes I will put a set on my 02 that I just bought.

Phil
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A lot of people have differing opinions. I think a lot depends on what conditions you expect to see. What does "Highway driving with some snow" mean? How much snow how often? Are the roads you will see cleared well? Are you seeing mostly powdered snow when you see it, or does it stay on the roads long enough to pack down and turn to ice?

My dad and father-in-law swear by studded snow tires. Are studded snow tires legal where you're driving? Is the "winter" season long enough to justify the expense? Personally, I haven't been able to justify the expense, when I do just fine in the snow with my year round tires.

Me and a friend of mine have both been impressed with Cooper tires in the snow. I've had mixed success with Good Year made tires (some have done well and some have done poorly). I've ran one set of Yokohama made tires that were good in the snow early in their life, but have gotten to be pretty slick in their old age. The Dunlop Mud Rovers I put on my Explorer have done a lot better than I expected an MT to do.
  4. finalday7

finalday7 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I haven't driven in the snow ice in awhile. Canadian born but currently residing in New Orleans. I know most people were using the BFG All Terrains they handle the snow and ice very well. Expensive yes but sometimes you get what you pay for and with tires, thats usually true. :)
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'd have to give huge winter kudos to Michelin LTX M/S. There on my work van and Sierra. Real dear in price though.
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

General grabber AT2 $109 a tire and great rain and mud traction.
  7. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

Ditto I run the same ones, they do not look very aggressive but will surprise most. Exceptional on ice, decent in fairly deep snow, I read it is the stipes in the tread. More edges grip better on ice, an aggressive tread is better when things get tough. When it is bad, I don't go out unless it is important.