Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 Suburban with issues at start, low idle and wants to die

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Quikfire, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

My 99 Suburban has an issue at start up. When starting, it has a low idle and without giving it a little gas it will die. Seems that after it warms up it gets better and runs normal. If I turn the motor off after its warmed up it will sometimes resort back to a rough start and sometimes not.
    I do not have a check engine light on. Not sure what the issue might be especially since sometimes it will correct its self after warm.
    A couple of my thoughts are fuel filter, throttle body needs to be cleaned, or distributer. Any other ideas?

Its a 99 Burb, 5.7 liter, 4x4.

2. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

So I switched out the cap and rotor yesterday and the first fire up was perfect, the rest back to the same ol same ol. I did notice that the inyards of the distributer look rusty and not so clean. I also noticed that when I pulled out on the street and slowly gave it throttle, it gained rpm and sped up slightly on its own.

ANy ideas on that?

3. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? Carbon build up around and behind the throttle plate will cause erratic idle air bleed thus fluctuating idle.

4. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

Thanks for the tip bazar01. I'll pick up a bottle of throttle body cleaner on the way home tomorrow. I looked up a couple of videos of the process and it makes sense. If nothing else i'm sure it needs to be done!

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Among the first things I'd check would be to check the fuel pressure.

6. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

Here is an update.
    I finally got some time and cleaned the throttle body. It was dirty as all get out when I looked at it. I gave it a once over and got it looking fairly clean and fired the Burb up. Seems to have fixed my problem. As of now I have driven around 20 miles and turned it off and re started it around 20 times. So far she starts up like she should and does not drop idle speed.

Thanks for the tip bazar01!