1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 Tahoe driver door sagging, won't close correctly

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by sresendes, Apr 19, 2010.

1. sresendes

sresendes New Member

Hi All,

I have a 99 Tahoe with a sagging drivers side door. I just replaced the hinge pins because the bushions were worn out and thought that the door would line up now and wouldn't have to slam it to make it shut.

Anyway the new hinge pins are in and the door is still sagging. I can't adjust the striker any more than what it is.

I used to hang out at a body shop when I was a kid and saw one the guys have this similar problem. What he did to correct it was - open the door about 1 foot, and place an hydraulic jack underneath the drivers side door at the end and jack it up a bit. He did this several times and it eventually worked.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I did my door pins a few months ago and it works like new. I would say put some shims behind the hinges but,I dont think they unbolt from the door do they? The jack thing work too. Best of luck on that..

3. sresendes

sresendes New Member

Thanks BigDaddy,

Yeah those door hinges are welded to the door and the body. The latch is kinda beat up from slamming the door for a while so I'm gonna replace that as well. But I'm definitely gonna try jacking it up. Hope it works. I'll post if it does or doesn't.

Thanks,

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Be careful with the jack. That door will buckle in a heartberat with too much pressure. Definitely hit it on the flat, wide part of the bottom of the door, not the very bottom.

Also, you said you replaced the pins, did you replace the bushings also?

And last thought. The holes in the hinges might have actually worn due to having bad bushings that even with new bushings it still sags. Just an idea.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had a sagging door after a woman backed into it when it was open. Took it to a friend with a body shop. He rolled out the floor jack and a piece of 4x4 and jacked it up. I was terrified, but he had clearly done that before. You want to pump the jack quickly to get the hinges to bend.

6. sresendes

sresendes New Member

Thanks Mean Green and 2COR,

Mean Green,

I did replace the bushings as well. I checked the holes and they seem normal / round / no wear. There was plenty of play with the old bushings. I could lift it up and down maybe a 1/2" or so. Once replaced, there wasn't any play at all.

2COR,

I saw the same thing at a body shop. I thought for sure it would've screwed things up, but it worked. I'm going to try it tonight when I get home.

I priced a latch for the drivers door and was quoted $120.00 from the dealer. Does anyone know of any websites that would carry the latch? I checked last night for a while and couldn't find a latch for a 99 Chevy Tahoe, left front door.

Thanks,

7. Ares89Burb

Ares89Burb New Member

8. sresendes

sresendes New Member

Thanks Ares!

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure the door is almost closed when you do it, and put the jack/block as far back as possible to have the most leverage.

10. sresendes

sresendes New Member

Thanks 2COR,

When you said to "jack it up fast", how many times did he do it as well as how high? I'm sure he didn't lift the car off its' wheels .... just wondering how aggressive he was.

I remember watching the body guy doing it a couple of times or more. He checked after every attempt as well. This was also about 15 years ago so I don't remember exactly how aggressive he was.

I'll let everyone know how I made out. Hopefully it'll work.

Thanks again.