1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

99 Tahoe trans swap??

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by boomguy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. boomguy

boomguy New Member

I have a early production 99 tahoe, sun shell broke in trans... I picked up an rolled 02 yukon on a trade just wondering if I can put the trans and transfer case out of the 02 into the 99... I dont have much experience with the 4l60e (old school, 350, 400 and 700r) but was told that it has a removeable bell.. any help would be appreciated..

2. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 Member

4L60e is a computer controlled unit correct? So I would assume that you would need all the associated items for the transmission to get it to function properly. But that is my wild a** guess.

Boomguy as in Boomer on a KC type aircraft?

3. boomguy

boomguy New Member

yes it is a computer controlled so is mine I have the whole truck but really wouldnt want to have to change all the harnesses...
    no boomguy as in aerial lifts...

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember correctly this is a straight across swap, I think it even has all the correct connectors for the harness.

5. boomguy

boomguy New Member

is there a difference in the bellhousing? or do you know

6. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The 2002 tranny was behind a LS style engine where you're 99 has a gen 1 350. The 2002 tranny will bolt up, but you will have one unused bolt hole at the top of the bell-housing, which isn't a big deal. The big problem may be the electronics, you're swapping between generations. I'd put the trannies side by side and compare electrical plugs, if they match you should be fine, if not you will have to do some rewiring.