1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 Yukon & 99 Tahoe police package Same?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by achipnachair, Feb 1, 2010.

1. achipnachair

achipnachair New Member

I have a 99 Yukon 5.7. Motor took a dump. I found a 99 Tahoe x- police truck 5.7. Everything I can find (not much really) makes it look like they are the same. Are they? Would it be a direct swap? Thanks much
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know the police trucks that were used up in MN were the same 5.7 engine that was found in any SUV of the same model. They didnt do the LT1 swap like they did for the police caprice. Just be careful, if you have any friends that are cops you know that they beat the crap out of their engines, IMO I wouldnt get any used part from a cop car/truck
  3. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

BIG x2!

I think there are small programming differences - a/c shutoff at WOT, higher rev and speed limiters, stuff like that. As far as bolting in, it'll work. As far as running without a reprogram, I don't know.

Good luck,
  4. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you use the motor, use the computer that matches. If possible. Cops dont drive with care!
  5. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The heavy-duty alternator might be handy though, if it's in good shape.
  6. achipnachair

achipnachair New Member

Both are vin code R so I should be good. As for using the computer I my just do that.