1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99MY 5.7L Vortec catalytic converters - expected life? Tell your story

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by triple-4x4, Jun 6, 2010.

1. triple-4x4

triple-4x4 New Member

I have a 99 Suburban K1500 with 200k miles and I don't think the Catalytic converters have ever been changed. ( I have owned it for 90k miles )

What kind of life can you get out of the factory CATs before the get plugged and don't flow correctly? I have what sounds like a exhaust back pressure sound coming from the drivers side when I rev the engine in the driveway while listening under the hood.

Trying to track down a loss of power and what feels like a miss going up hill towing a load.
  2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Cut them off! My truck only had 200k kilometers and i cut mine off, and it felt like a new truck after i did! If you have strict emission laws, i suggest high flow cats.
  3. robb_03

robb_03 New Member

Definatly get rid of them or change them. You can get high flow aftermarket ones if you need to for about $100 each.