1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A-arm Nut working loose

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TanZ71, Oct 21, 2009.

1. TanZ71

TanZ71 New Member

I recently bought tires for my 05 Z71 and while it was in I had it aligned. A few weeks later, I noticed this sound that kept getting more persistant. I checked under the truck and did not see anything suspisous but that did not satisify me so I took it back in and we found that the nut was working itself off the upper A-Arm on the passenger side. The guy at the shop was nice enough to realign the truck for free and made sure that the nut was tightened down. Today, after driving it for about 100 miles, I noticed when I make a sharp turn, the sound is back, so I checked the nut again. It was backing itself off, not much but enough that I could tighten it back with my hand.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I know it was tightened up the second time because I watched the guy tighten it.
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you are referring to the upper control arm nut and adjustment cam, are you torquing to 140ft/lbs? If you are, then the threads are distorted and the hardware should be replaced. As an alternate you could try loctite.
    [​IMG]
  3. TanZ71

TanZ71 New Member

Thanks I will suggest that when I call the shop today. By the way, it is the upper contorl arm.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

boo on locktite that **** sucks on alignment parts, what i do is just rattle them a little with my impact and call it good never had one come back loose and that is all that counts