1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C Clutch not engaging

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by promod, Jun 3, 2010.

1. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Correct...
  2. promod

promod New Member

Thanks again! I will report back what I find.

You guys are awesome help for sure!
  3. MightyMax

MightyMax New Member

Yep, if you have a wire, you should be able to slip it into the power connector.
  4. promod

promod New Member

Power connector meaning the compressor side, not the harness side correct? :confused:
  5. MightyMax

MightyMax New Member

Right power has to go to the compressor.
    The plug/boot that plugs into the compressor is what supplies the power to the compressor when the switch on the Accumulator tells it too, based on pressure in the system.
  6. T-bone

T-bone New Member

Hi all

So My AC system is not working and when the car is running the clutch on the compressor is not engaging. Just to be sure I am understanding correctly If I disconnect the low pressure switch and run a wire or paper clip to bridge the connector. If my clutch is not running because of low pressure or a bad switch then this would tell me if the clutch engages.

My next move would be to check the pressure and if good it is a bad switch and if it is low I need a boost.

I know some trucks have a combine Low pressure and high pressure switch it is not clear to me how to tell if that is in fact the case.

thanks
  7. dpeter

dpeter Member

So how is it you know the charge is good if the compressor does not run?
  8. T-bone

T-bone New Member

you have to measure the pressure in the system with a gauge low side and high side should be equal and I have read somewhere between 50-100 Psi ( I have seen a large range of numbers.
  9. dpeter

dpeter Member

T-bone, that will only tell you that there is refrigerant in the system but not how much.
  10. MightyMax

MightyMax New Member

Yes, but it will tell you that there is something in the system....so you can conclude that there is not a leak or a big one at least.

Now once the compressor is turned on, and running.....then you can see what the pressure rises/falls too.....and go from there.