1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

A/C & Heat issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by kloftin86, Nov 18, 2012.

1. kloftin86

kloftin86 New Member

I have a 2011 Silverado with dual climate control. The passenger side will not blow hot when the heat is on. It blows cold continuously whether the dual climate is activated or not. I'm not sure what could cause this. Maybe a blend door actuator or something? If I turn the engine off and back on it will sometimes blow hot after that. Even after that it sometimes will quit blowing hot and turn back to blowing cold. Any ideas? Im pretty sure its still under warranty. I will be contacting the dealership tomorrow to find out.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Would be my guess as well

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree that it's probably a blend door actuator ... specifically the passenger side actuator. If the 2011's are like my 2004, then it's buried in the dash on the passenger side and is no fun to replace. (There's a write-up, here, that I posted after replacing it in my 2004...)

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Aren't warranties great.

5. kloftin86

kloftin86 New Member

I just hope mine is still under warranty. I drive my truck for work and it has almost 50k on it. I can't remember what extended warranty I purchased. I will call tomorrow and find out. Even if it is not under warranty I will still be getting it fixed. I do not have the patience for all that dash business haha. Anyone know what the dealership labor rate is if it isn't under warranty?

6. SurrealOne

I was quoted 4.5 hours @$80/hr to do mine. The Stealership also wanted $263.00 for the actuator ... which I bought online for a bit over $100.00. Thieves.

By buying the actuator and doing it myself ... I saved a little over $525.00 once you figure up tax. That also equates to my time being worth ~$100.00/hr!. :)

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow $80 an hour! The dealership that we take my wife's torrent to is charging $93 an hour. That is because they apparently work with golden tools or because they need to cover the cost of doing the job over again after they do it incorrectly the first 2 times. I found out this week that when they replaced the fuel pump and forgot to reconnect a connector, they charged GM warranty time again to replace a "bad connector".

8. SurrealOne

It took me about 5 hours but I have all kinds of sound deadening stuff to remove before the dash cover can come off. (My vent connections are wrapped in the stuff and it's super adhesive ... and tough to remove when working in really tight spaces, even with my small hands.) What's sad, here, is that that time isn't far from what the stealership quotes ... meaning if I didn't have the sound deadening material issues I could likely have done it FASTER than the mechanic at the stealership (per quoted time) ... even though I was doing it for the first time and was just following a guide and figuring things out as I went.

I hate stealerships...

9. kloftin86

kloftin86 New Member

Good news! My truck is still under warranty. I have warranty until 75k miles bumper to bumper with a $100 deductible. It will be going to the shop after the holiday.

10. SurrealOne

Excellent!