A/C Help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ZSI52, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My A/C messed up about a month ago. After reading a few websites it sounds like my A/C is low on freon. So what do I need to buy to charge it? I want to Flush it and charge it. I was thinking I should do a Stop leak and odor eliminator also. I have someone that can do it. I just need to get all the stuff. So how many cans of each thing would I need to buy?

2. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

I think the law would be the same as it is here, the freon must be drawn out by a shop and also recharged by them. It is an Ozone thing!

3. ZSI52

Where are you at? From what I've read it depends on what type. I guess R12 is illegal to buy without a License and has to be drawn and recharged by a shop. And R134 is legal.

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your truck uses R134 and it has a leak. The best thing to do is take it to a shop that can charge it with a dye so the leak can be found. Also, once you have a leak the system needs to be evacuated, repaired and then the exact amount of freon replaced. Just adding freon to a leaking system is a waste of time and money as well as polluting the ozone.

5. ZSI52

Do you know around how much it would cost?

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Call around. Some shops offer a special. I have seen A/C checks for $29.95 in the Houston Market and $39.95 in the SFO bay area market.