1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C Help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ZSI52, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My A/C messed up about a month ago. After reading a few websites it sounds like my A/C is low on freon. So what do I need to buy to charge it? I want to Flush it and charge it. I was thinking I should do a Stop leak and odor eliminator also. I have someone that can do it. I just need to get all the stuff. So how many cans of each thing would I need to buy?
  2. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

I think the law would be the same as it is here, the freon must be drawn out by a shop and also recharged by them. It is an Ozone thing!
  3. ZSI52

Where are you at? From what I've read it depends on what type. I guess R12 is illegal to buy without a License and has to be drawn and recharged by a shop. And R134 is legal.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your truck uses R134 and it has a leak. The best thing to do is take it to a shop that can charge it with a dye so the leak can be found. Also, once you have a leak the system needs to be evacuated, repaired and then the exact amount of freon replaced. Just adding freon to a leaking system is a waste of time and money as well as polluting the ozone.
  5. ZSI52

Do you know around how much it would cost?
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Call around. Some shops offer a special. I have seen A/C checks for $29.95 in the Houston Market and $39.95 in the SFO bay area market.