1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C issues 2001 burb

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 99monguse, Jun 17, 2010.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Rockstar

I bought my burb 2 1/2 yrs ago and the AC was great but last summer I noticed it stopped blowing cold and I had it recharged (also had dye put in) and it worked good again but same thing this year BUT...it now blows semi cold and then goes back and forth cold, semi-cold, and at times it'll blow really warm too. The other day as I was sitting in a parking lot with the AC one, it was cold and then I heard a faint girgling...like when you're drinking from a straw and you're about out of liquid, you get that girgle sound(right after I heard that faint noise, the really warm air began to come out of the vents). I'm going to have it checked soon, maybe we'll have some answers as to why I have to keep re-charging the system every year...but does anyone have any ideas?
  2. Mike01Suburban

Mike01Suburban New Member

Theres only one reason why you have to recharge the sys. every year, there is a leak, probably a slow leak but a leak. As to the faint sound your hearing then it gets warm i have no idea, maybe low pressure switch cutting the comp. off at some point, idk just a thought, you need to fix the leak first.
  3. 99monguse

99monguse Rockstar

Ok...had it checked out and theres some dye on the pipes that go into the rear evaporator. The technician said he had to look at the repair guide to see whats involved in getting to the rear evaporator before he could give me a price on repair. I did some checking and it looks like the evaporator is located in the interior side cargo panel above the passenger rear tire. Does anyone have any experience with removing the unit from there; is it difficult? Being that I work at a GM dealership, I get the parts cheap, the main cost is the labor.