1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C Leak Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by i_build, May 7, 2009.

1. i_build

i_build New Member

99 Suburban LT 5.7 C1500

There appears to be a slow leak around the compressor body. There appears to be a hold down band that bolts to the motor and holds the compressor in place. Underneath that band is where I am seeing the leak detector (green stuff) slowly bubbling out. I havent tried to pull the compressor... but does that mean it is shot? is there something under that hold down that can be re-sealed?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've got what sounds to be a similar issue on the compressor on my 91 suburban. It's been like that for a while, but I don't seem to be losing freon at a rate high enough to really notice a drop in cooling ability. I've been putting mine off until I can overhaul the entire system and add the rear a/c back in.

However, I do think the compressor on our trucks are on their way out. :(
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

When I replaced the compressor on my 93 a few years ago I remember a variety of plugs to close ports not used on my vehicle. Didn't hang onto the installation instructions. (Why keep what you don't read eh?) You might want to truck on down to the parts store to take a gander at a compressor out of the box.
  4. jester

jester New Member

If your compressr is leaking you have to replace it. There is no way to just reseal it unless its leaking around the fittings.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Just like unplugged said on the bottom of the compressor near the bolts for the support bracket there are a couple unused ports that are plugged off, the plugs use "O" rings to seal them.
    The real problem is to change out the "O" rings you have to evacuate the system of all the freon, change the "O" rings out, pull a vacuum on the system, and recharge it. After all this work you might just as well rebuild or replace the compressor, change the drier cannister, and change the other "O" rings in the system. Basically rebuild your A/C system, shouldnt take but the better part of the afternoon.
    The A/C compressor used on these trucks shows 156 different applications, I know some of those are used on completely different body styles (i.e. Isuzu medium duty trucks) which probably use different freon ports but I'd guess most of the applications are similiar.
  6. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

I gotta admit that I am always tempted to try JB Weld or duct tape to seal things that leak!:lol:
    Here's what I have in my first aid kit:
    [​IMG]
  7. i_build

i_build New Member

OK I saw a dryer and compressor on ebay for about 150$ rebuilt. Will be the next project.

Wow... I just bought this thing and in a month I put in a heavy duty radiator, new front wheel bearings, idler arm, and pitman arm, new sound system and 4 new speakers, all the tune up goodies, fuel pump, and now... the a/c compresser and dryer...:gasp:

I hope it ends here... the engine and tranny are smooth and strong...