A/C Leak Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MauryFrench, Jun 3, 2012.

1. MauryFrench

MauryFrench Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Okay guys, I already know the answer to this one, but I am hoping one of you has a surprise answer for me. Everything in my A/C system has been replaced except the condenser. We had a Leak detector going with about a 300 psi of pressure of Nitrogen with the remaining freon after it leaked out in two days. After a weeks time it was still holding 70 ish pounds of pressure but that was not enough to run it. ANYWAY, the detector was fine on all fittings and connectors, but go to the drivers side and put the probe down close to the side of the radiator and it went nuts.

I am pretty darn sure that the one piece left I need to change is faulty, but I hope you guys tell me there is yet another connector or weird fitting on that side. Is there?

2. kw70chevy

kw70chevy Member

only thing on the drivers side by the rad is the condensor.

3. MauryFrench

That's what I figured Mr. kw. Guess I will be picking up a condenser tomorrow.

Thanks for reaffirming.

4. stevemay09

stevemay09 New Member

Sounds like you found your leak. New condenser is about 140.00, but I see you live in Texas, and ya gotta have a/c in Texas! Since you've already replaced everything else, you need to go ahead and get your condenser. An a/c system need to be in working order or it'll ruin the parts you've replaced already. Good luck!

5. MauryFrench

Okay guys, I have the condenser and hope to change it out this weekend. Any gotchas on removing the front grill and hood latch ?

6. stevemay09

stevemay09 New Member

should be pretty straightforward...the grill on my 1500 is held on by 4 small screws on top, and 3 clips on the bottom (I use a flathead screwdriver to release them) I didn't have to remove my condenser, but it looks like the blots holding the hood latch are easily accessible once the grille is off. Good luck and good job!

7. MauryFrench

Thanks, Steve.

Now I have the grill, hood latch , transmission cooler and a mud plate removed, and the old condenser came right out. I sure did expect to see some of the green dye on the drivers side of the condenser but there was none even though that side set the freon finder into a tizzy. I did find one interesting thing; when I took the sensor connection off of the compressor there was a little oil/dye there. Should there ever be? I never quite understand how those work.

Quick lunch break then its on to install the new one.

8. MauryFrench

Okay, all done. Now I am at the mercy of 1) my HVAC neighbor or b) my brother in law to help me test it out.