1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C not working, sent to shop, said it was 1lb low on refrigerant. Still not working.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jbeall, Jul 1, 2010.

1. jbeall

jbeall Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi All,

About a week ago our A/C started working/not working intermittently. Generally speaking it would work for a little while, then stop. The fan was still blowing but the air coming out the vents was not cool.

I took it to the dealership where we got it, and they looked it over and said that the refrigerant was 1 pound low (was 2 pounds, should be 3 pounds). They added 1 pound of refrigerant, and said it was working for them after that.

Well, I picked it up at the end of the day and on the drive home, it never got cool. It's definitely still not working for me.

I've called them and am going to have to bring it back in to them... but thought I'd also check here for feedback on what could be going on here. I paid $61 in parts, labor, and taxes for them to put a pound of refrigerant in and it seemed to do nothing, so I'm a little annoyed... but I guess you can't win 'em all. Overall I've been happy with this dealership, they've done most of the service work on my vehicles and I've been happy at other times. :-/
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It could have been a pound low if the system has a leak. Tell them to put dye in the system to try to find any leaks.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2, also what year make model?? But they definately need to do something about it.
  4. jbeall

Sorry, I didn't say. 2003 Yukon XL SLT. It's got rear air.
  5. rangercliff

rangercliff New Member ROTM Winner

at that rate of leakage don't waste your money with dye,(they will charge you).a qualified tech should be able to see the point of leakage. they should have found the leak prior to charging you for freon that released into the atmosphere.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

they should have detected the leak when putting the freon in, they just dont put a can on it like you would by from home, they use a machine to adjust it to get it to its optimum level, any over pressure can destroy an A/C system. I wouldnt be paying the 61 bucks they charged you. I would bet the compressor is shot.
  7. jbeall

Sorry I never followed up on this. I took it back and they looked it over again--it turns out that a pressure switch on the compressor was bad. So, the compressor itself was working, but there was a pressure switch that was malfunctioning and shutting the compressor off.

They charged me for the replacement pressure switch ($36.73), but no labor.
  8. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's good. I'd have been super mad if they wanted to charge me for labor on something they missed.