GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

A/C not working!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 99monguse, Apr 2, 2010.

1. 99monguse

99monguse New Member

I had my 01 burbs freon re-charged in June/09 because it wasn't blowing cold...its doing the same thing again! I noticed that while driving the A/C will blow warm and then cold and then warm and then cold again....I had DYE put in in June but haven't had it checked yet. Any ideas on what this could be?
  2. rustyk2

rustyk2 New Member

not that good with AC but could the compressor be going bad? Had that happen to me before.
  3. jedepsub

jedepsub New Member

Usually that means you are low on freon or compressor shutting off, have it checked again since they put the dye in.
  4. Sandhopper

Sandhopper New Member

One other thing to look into is the HVAC damper actuator controls in the dash. In my 04 silverado I would get in and the a/c would be blasting hot air on the drivers side and blowing cols air on the passengers side. Took me a little while to figure out what was going on since I felt like I was being dried like a piece of jerky... 100 degrees out side and 120 in the truck witht he A/C blowing. If I turned off the ignition and restarted it, the actuators would reset and the A/C would work fine. Here is the real bad part... The steailership wanted $700 to replace the actuators that are burried in the dash. Just a thought... I opted to just reset the acuators with the ignition when it happened. I sold it to a friend of mine (fully disclosed the issue before sale) and he has not had any issues. Not sure if this was helpful but good luck.
  5. bbuntyn

bbuntyn New Member

On my 03 Suburban, all AC was blowing hot. I turned on the engine and the AC, then pulled the 10A HVAC fuse for 30 seconds, turned the engine off and then replaced the fuse and it started blowing cold again. Also, you can try unhooking the negative side of the battery for a few minutes and then reattaching. That seems to reset the actuators as well.
  6. bazar01

bazar01 New Member

It could be that the evaporator is freezing up so it blocks air flow, then it thaws, then it starts blowing cold air again. System is low on freon. If it has dye put in June, you need to get a UV flash light. When you park it, check the condensate coming out of the front under the passenger side with the Uv flashlight. If it glows, you found the leak. If not, check the rear condensate drain with the Uv flashlight. Hopefully you find the leak. If not, check the front engine compartment freon lines and the liquid receiver fittings and compressor cycling pressure switch for leakage.
    Good luck.