A/C only works in high (#5)

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Slopez9788, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Slopez9788

Slopez9788 New Member

Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 Chevy 1500 Silverado. And i have been having this problem where my A/C only works when its on the highest setting... When i turn the air on from "0" to "1, 2, 3, or 4" it sounds like its engaging but nothing blows out the vents. Only blows out when i turn it to "5." I have no idea what the problem could be.
    Please help me out... Thanks.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Blower motor resistor is shot, its a cheap part at any auto parts store, and can be easily fixed. In the footwell of the passenger side front seat you can see a round black molded piece of plastic, its in there. There are usually just a couple snaps or screws that holds that cover down. The resistor itself is a nest of non insulated hardened wires and is held in place by a couple screws as well. The wires usually get corroded and causes it to fail, this leaving the blower to only operate on high. Good Luck!

3. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

4. Tuff_Truck01

Tuff_Truck01 New Member

I had a similar problem where the blower motor stopped working with 3 settings on my climate control switch. I thought it had something to do with the climate control switch itself and when I took it to the dealership I found out it was a melted blower motor resistor harness. They told me it was going to cost close to $100 for the part, so I went shopping on my own and found one for $33. It was way better than the one the dealership mechanic showed me, which only had black and white wires and seemingly one gauge size. The harness I found matched the one in my 02 Silverado, both wire color and gauge size and now my heat and a/c work perfect. I found the harness at http://www.buywiring.com/7-wire_blower_motor_resistor_harness_gm_15862656_acdelco_pt2195.html If you want the correct part, this is clearly the one to get.

If the resistor is bad, I was told by the dealership that it is likely the connector on the blower motor resistor harness will be damaged as well. My repair was exactly like the video jreagan posted. Before I replaced the resistor I researched which would be the best and found that there are a ton of junk knock offs. The one in the video is the best one and you'll know because it will say "Slovenia" on the green ceramic coating. I got mine from the Chevy dealer in my town.

Hope this is helpful!!!

5. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

X2 on the blower motor resistor, and checking the wiring harness when you replace it..

6. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Blower motor resister yup...just had to replace mine, 60 bucks at autozone for the 06 model...