1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C only works on 5. '03 silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by senorquill, Sep 7, 2009.

1. senorquill

senorquill New Member

My A/C only works on level 5. Is this just a problem with the nob, or is it something electrical? Thanks
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There is usually a resistor in the fan circuit to control the lower speeds, this is most likely the culprit. I have changed one on my old Grand Prix and it is located under the dash next to the blower motor, I should imagine the trucks have a similar set up. It is basically a printed circuit board with a pig tail plug on the end. Here's a link to to show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.gm par t direct/catalog/frameset.cfm

Edit: The link doesn't go to the exact page, not sure why it's worked in the past, but just put in your truck info and follow the drop down list for heater parts and then to" resistor"
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. Project1

Project1 New Member 100 Posts

its the resistor pack by the ac blower moter the resistor pack is like 22 bucks and if you need the wiring harrness with the plug its 95 dollars and you can only get it from the dealer :gasp:
  4. senorquill

senorquill New Member

Thanks a lot guy's. I'll order that part and swap it out. Is it tough to put the new one in?
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not sure on the trucks, but I practically had to stand on my head to do the one in my Pontiac!... 3 bolts for the blower then 2 more for the resistor, which doesn't sound like much but there wasn't much room under the dash and I'm 6'1" and 220lbs!!
  6. Project1

Project1 New Member 100 Posts

no the hardest part is finding all the screws to get the shroud off. the resistor pack is held in by 2 screws just off the blower motor. its pretty easy.