1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

A/C problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 4, 2014.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

howdy,
    got a problem with my AC, and yes im in texas, so it sucks not having it :eek:

history:
    ive always had to recharge my a/c about 2 times a year ever since i got it in 08, small leak somewhere, never been able to isolate it... but when its charged it works like a dream. ever since i had to replace my heater core last year, and disconnect the a/c lines, pull a vacuum and reinstall them, it seems my a/c has been working perfect ever since, like the leak has disappeared. well along with brake problems i have had recently but fixed, one hot day i get in my truck to go pick up my son from school, and the A/C is blowing hot air, compressor is cycling back off as soon as it clicks on (an indication of low refrigerant) but after years of habit with this truck i know when its time to recharge, and i can tell as the A/C gradually loses its cooling power, but this was a spontaneous event, it was ice cold the day before... for about 2 or 3 days it was hot air, well day after that i get back in and bam A/C is ice cold again... i didnt recharge it, compressor was cycling normal again... dont know what the F happened... been working since up until last week it did it again, so went back home to SA and my father recharged it, it was indeed low somehow, well with a full charge my A/C is not blowing cold air. the lines were acting correct (one hot, one cold), but still blowing 85 degrees in my cab... it was a miserable drive back to corpus. i noticed however that if i set my fan speed to the lowest speed its really cold (but that speed is so slow, it does not cool the cab whatsoever, the higher the speed, the less cooling it becomes... compressor is still cycling normal, and i am burning up in this 100 degree texas weather, anyone no what could be the culprit???
    thanks in advance

2. silverado002

silverado002 Member 100 Posts

I think I would check under the dash to make sure the door that changes from heater air (hot) to air condition (cold) is moving correctly according to the setting on the dash.

3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

how to check this?

4. silverado002

silverado002 Member 100 Posts

Do you have a service manual? There are several doors (mode door, temperature door etc) that operate to provide heat or cold air to different ducts depending on AC switch positions. To dig in and troubleshoot further you will need the service manual that explains the various door locations/operations with pictures.