1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Cornucopia of Fuse Panels

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Crawdaddy, Nov 25, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Today I had a pretty awesome trip to the junkyard. I wasn't looking for anything in particular; I was just browsing the aisles. I scored not one, not two, but five fuse boxes. Here's a picture of them:

IMG_0523.jpg IMG_0524.jpg

Unfortunately, despite being able to usually remember the make and model of the vehicles I pull parts off of, for the life of me I can't remember what any of those came off of except they were all GM cars. The two large ones in back were off some mid-90s Caddilac 4 door. It was located dead center high on the firewall behind the engine. The middle one I think was off a 2 door chevy, and the front 2 were off a late 90s Caddy.

I plan to use one of the back 2 fuse panels in the Suburban to power my high-amp and other extra electrical goodies. The bottom part is made to house a bank of 8 or so relays, and I will be using it for that. However, I didn't keep any of the relays that go in those spots and your standard Bosch relay doesn't have the mounting boss on it. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to get some relays that fit the spot or make a new mounting method for the relays in that pocket; probably the latter. Any ideas?

The middle one caught my eye primarily because of the amperage and quantity of fuses in it. It has 4 80 amp fuses and a 30. That thing's gotta be capable of flowing some serious current.

The two bottom ones have an exposed buss bar on the bottom and would therefore need an insulative mount made for them, but they have a good number of spots and have some heavy-gauge wire exiting the fuses so I grabbed them.

The best part of this is that the 5 fuse panels only cost me 22 dollars. They were supposed to be 11 dollars each, but the cashier apparently entered the wrong quantity in the register. Works for me! :cool:
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Recycling yards can be about the most fun you'll ever have for a true car nut.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes indeed. While there I also picked up a pair of screw-on fuel filter bases off an 85 Chevy pickup with a diesel and off that same truck a pretty rare TV cable bracket for a 6.2L diesel and 700R4 transmission combo that I plan to flip for a pretty good profit.

Any ideas on how I should go about mounting the Bosch relays in the pocket of those larger fuse centers? My first thought is to set up some sort of hook setup using little kitchen hooks that go in wood. I want to try to keep the setup as neat and modular as possible so I can simply add on and replace components on the side of the road without major work.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No ideas right off hand, hopefully someone els will be more helpful.

Hey hows your Deuce and a half doing? I just bought a Deuce with a completely rusted body and fresh rebuilt running gear from axles to engine, it's got the multi fuel option. The owner wedged it in crevice and bent the frame about 6deg on the right side frame rail so I'm looking at swapping all the running gear to a late model Chevy truck frame and cab with a flat bed out back. Got a buyer interested in the package for use on his west Texas ranch.