1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A couple of issues ~ 1996 Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by highspeed, Mar 18, 2013.

1. highspeed

highspeed New Member

Just so I know what I am getting into, I have a few questions about doing some things to my 96 Z71.

1. The previous owner of the truck disconnected the oil cooler from the radiator. He says that it leak really badly at the connection so he pulled it and plugged the hole. I am still getting some leaking from the "plugged" hose. Should I research getting it all connected back up with new lines or just try to plug the hoses better?

2. How hard is it to replace the exterior door handles? My passenger side is broken.

3. Is there anyway to set the distributor cap correctly without a scan tool? or get it close? From the looks of it, its a good ways off right now(CEL is one and the code is for cam and crank interference......or something like that) and it idles rough but clears up once you get on the gas.

I know those are some what open-ended questions, but I believe most C/K owners have some idea of what I am up against here. Thanks for any advice you may give.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would hook up the oil cooler or buy an aftermarket cooler and hook it up. The exterior handles are not that hard to replace. You just need to pull the interior door panel. As far as the timing goes, I am going to leave that question for someone else. I think I know the answer, but I am not positive and I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction. Maybe, [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] can help on that one, he seems to know his way around these trucks.
  3. highspeed

highspeed New Member

Coolant temp sensor took a dump today. Gauge read ice cold all day. Cheap fix though.
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

I would connect the oil cooler hoses together so that you continue the flow. you can get some compression connectors to do this easy. I would only use a radiator oil cooler for the engine unless you live in the AZ desert where it does not get too cold.

your timing code could be the distributor gear/bearing . if you have over 170,ooo this would be my guess .
  5. highspeed

highspeed New Member

I got confirmation that the previous owner tried setting the timing the realized he couldn't because of the vortec motor. I need to find a scanner that will read the cam sensor.
  6. highspeed

highspeed New Member

So none around me has the scan tool that will read cam angle. I would rather not spend $$$$$ on the stealership to set it up. Does anyone know another way to do it.

I also have a vibration under load. Feels like the U-joints in the driveshaft and possibly the trans mount.

One more thing, I was going fishing the other day and found out real quickly that the 4wd doesnt work. So after some tinkering in the mud next to the lake I was fishing, I found that the 4wd fuse was blown. I didn't have any fuses so I used a piece of wire to bridge the fuse link...........and now the 4wd works again. Any reason for a fuse to blow in the 4wd?
  7. highspeed

highspeed New Member