A couple of tools to keep in the glove box

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Dr_Zero, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

You come out after work and you get in and your car tries to start but then click click click no joy

It's probably just a dirty battery terminal you can handle this and be back trucking in no time with these handy tools.

A terminal wrench

[​IMG]

A terminal brush

[​IMG]

Use the wrench to loosen and remove the battery cable and look for the tel tale green and white corrosion that grows there.

Use the brush to clean off all the offending corrosion

Check for a spacer in there also it will pop out and get lodged in the worst places (dont ask me how I know LOL) The corrosion get in under the spacer but like I said keep an eye out for that part getting lost.

[​IMG]

So you might consider keeping one of these handy also! Without the spacer you wont be going anywhere soon.

Once all the parts are clean put it back in the reverse order and try the ignition again it should fire right up and you are off.

Note on the spacer if you cant find one in a pinch you can use a nut till you can get proper spacer!
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

Good idea, I keep jumper cables. I do regular cleaning and preventive maintainence on my whole motor (including) electrical cables every three months or so. Thanks for the tip.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

Alright I'm finally on the ball with at least one thing, I have a whole tool box in my truck and it just so happens I have both the battery wrench and the brush in my toolbox. Definately both good things to have with you, I also carry a huge box of fuses for the trailer and truck just in case!:glasses:
  4. ct9a

ct9a New Member

I like to also keep a box of baking soda with my battery tools. Coke works well in a pinch too.
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Jumper cables I dont carry but I should, I have a jumper box also but leave it charging LOL.

Fuses are good and electrical tape Hmmm maybe a thread on what we call a car kit all the things you have in the car from tools to water. Any interest?
  6. jim1958

jim1958 New Member

Don`t forget a little bailing wire and of course the handymans secret weapon Duct Tape
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

No matter how many tools you carry in your truck you will never have the one you need.

Murphy
  8. NJBLK1500

NJBLK1500 New Member

My jump box was dead on me once when I went to save the day in a parking lot. I felt cool because I was the guy with the "cool jump box thing"...that quickly changed to the "moron with the DEAD cool jump box thing." So now I charge it religiously when the guage says 50%. HOWEVER, I usually leave it plugged in in the garage :grrrrrr:

I'll start it up... What I carry...all fits in a small tool bag to fit under rear seat
    Regular tool kit items (sockets metric and standard, nut driver with sockets, screwdrivers and torx bits, hammer, linemans pliers, channel locks, adjustable wrench, utility knife)
    Voltmeter
    Allen Keys
    Coat hangar (used on to tie up a muffler once, will never leave home without one)
    Electrical tape
    Duct tape
    Fuses, fuses, fuses (2.5-30)
    Electrical crimps and crimper, along with pieces of wire
    A couple hacksaw blades

I may left some stuff out, but my wife would have looked at me funny if she saw me rooting through the tool bag sitting at the computer!?!
  9. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Good start!

Instead of two sets of sockets have you thought about one metric set? You can fit just about any sae in a pinch with a metric set

5/16 & 8mm
    7/16 & 11mm
    1/2/ & 13mm
    9/16 & 14mm
    5/8 & 16mm
    3/4 & 19mm
    7/8 & 22mm
    15/16 & 24mm
    1 1/16 & 27mm
    1 1/4 & 32mm
    1 1/2 & 38mm
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

Husky 101 piece tool kit (Home Depot)
    12 volt Impact gun w/thin deep wall sockets hooks to battery posts on top (truck stop)
    folding camping chair
    12 volt black and decker tire inflator (takes a while for a 35" tire LOL!)
    48oz. bottle of Slime for truck tires
    2 Absorbers
    Scrub brush
    Detailer/tire shine w/tire sponge applicator
    wind up, no battery LED flashlight
    windshield blind
    truck cover (RV World made for medium duty trucks, fits mine perfect!)
    2 spare PIAA rock guards (Just in case)
    4 valve caps (got them stolen at a show before)

I keep all of this in a large rubbermaid container in the bed, It takes up most of the bed actually! :money:
  11. cascott325

cascott325 New Member

i keep a floor jack, coolant, wd40, a 200pc. craftsman tool set, a 100pc. screwdriver bit set with security bits included, a breaker bar, jumper cables, sand paper, zip ties, electrical and duct tape, chains w/ and w/o hooks, different size hitch balls, and rope
  12. gspman

gspman New Member

stuff in the truck

i carry the same as cascott325 but include a couple of 30 ft snatch ropes and a couple of clevis's. When i go hunting up north i carry chainsaw gas/oil and a come along, and a small folding shovel.
  13. bob13

bob13 New Member

Great idea!
  14. Miller2

Miller2 New Member

15. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

Under my backseat i keep:
    2 bottles of water
    jumpercables
    chain
    bungee cords
    rope
    a butt load of wrenches
    a changeable screw driver (flat and philips)
    a flashlight
    an OBDII scan tool
    paper towels

I need to see if i can find a torx screw driver set for the small stuff. some of the trim in my truck are torx heads.
  16. NJBLK1500

NJBLK1500 New Member

New additions to my kit from what I listed earlier.
    I have recently added
    a 20 foot tow strap
    6 ratchet tie towns
    Cargo containment net
    Cargo containment bar
    Jumpstart box w/built-in compressor AND DC-->AC inverter

And I didn't list it earlier, but I too have a OBD II scanner. I didn't list it because I thought you guys thought I was insane. I got to use it the other day to clear a check engine light, because the gas station guy didn't tighten the gas cap. (GOD I wish I lived in a state where I could pump my own gas!)
  17. NJBLK1500

NJBLK1500 New Member

I would hit up the local hardware store and buy a 3/8" driver handle and a kit of assorted screwdriver bits, torx sizes (they go to size 50 in some places on my truck), and nut drivers as well...this would have you set for all screws.....hmmm? Eh I'll just let that one go!!!
  18. hmaster77

hmaster77 New Member

full socket set with deep drive and normal sae and metric sockets
    floor jack
    3 folding chairs
    tape measure
    duct tape
    channellocks
    cresent wrenches
    jumper cables
    machete
    .22 rifle and box of ammo
    power inverter
    all in my nice full toolbox lol
  19. 4shongo

4shongo New Member

I bought a set of "mini jumper cables" years ago and they fit in the glove box. They work great. I also keep a Leatherman in all my rides.
  20. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

In my big box I have 5 separate boxes for tools.

Box #1 is all my stuff with ratchets. I have a 1/4" set, a 3/8" set, and a 1/2" set. I keep multiple ratchets, extensions, universals, and breakers in there. I also keep a set of Allen sockets and Torx sockets too. I have a few back outs in that box.

Box #2 is my miscellaneous tools box. Things like picks, grabbers, bits, Allen wrenches, wire brushes, tape messure, WD-40, etc. etc.

Box #3 is my A-frame tool bag. It holds my 50 something piece screw driver set that my gf bought me for Valentine's Day on one side. The other side holds my small hammers, pliars, and a few other miscellaneous tools.

Box #4 is my Gear Wrench specialty ratchet set. This is one of those sets that have the pass-through stye ratchets and sockets. They are for extra long bolts or pieces of all-thread.

Box #5 is my last ditch effort box. It houses my 1" drive socket and rachet set. I've only used it twice. Once, when replacing the clutch on my John Deere, and then to break the lug nuts on my brother's truck.

Then I have a couple of tools that couldn't fit into boxes, such as:
    Pry Bars
    24" aluminum pipe wrench
    some other pipe wrenches
    Shop maul
    etc. etc.

In my trays I carry electrical tape, electrical fittings, electrical pliers, safety glasses, led flash light, and a pair of work shoes.

I also carry a jug of water, brake fluid, antifreeze, a bottle of purple power, electrical cleaner, and rags.

But here's the best part. I bought my big box, a Husky black over the rail box, for $125 from the flea market. I change the lock, lift shock, and added new weather stripping. My 1" drive set I bought for $50 bucks from the same market. It doesn't have name, just China chiseled on the side. I bought it b/c one of those sockets are $30 from Sears, and they are drop forged, and if the ratchet ever goes out, I'll just swallow and buy a new one, they are only about #80.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009