1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A little Fresh Air!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by openmymind, Mar 12, 2009.

1. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Greetings all!
    Registered newbie but have spent time searching threads and have learned a lot. Thanks. I hope to tie into everyone's experience and vision.

Suburban Air Intake issue

Vehicle: 1993 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Suburban w/5.7L, TBI and has/had a thermostatic air cleaner with heat riser (mechanical wax pellet design) no sensors or connection (at least visible) to ECU (ODB1).

Application: AEM Brute Force Intake Model # 21-8001DP (w/ throttle body spacer) to above vehicle.

I am considering purchasing and installing this unit in the near future. But there is one potential “showstopper” that still remains unresolved. AEM did not offer a lot of consolation or have any “specific” information. All my instincts tell me that I only have something to gain and little to lose. However, I prefer to be cautious when spending any hard earned cash, especially now a days.

It is my hope, that you are able to provide some clarity to this issue so that I may proceed with the purchase and installation with minimal trepidation.
    On the AEM website description of the product for the respective 1993 Suburban application, the following caveat is noted:

“* Excludes models with thermostatic air cleaners (heat risers).”

This left me with a lot of questions so...
    My inquiry is as follows:
    • Why is it excluded?
    • What is the issue (or issues) with thermostatic air cleaner models?

(Is this just AEM self-protecting from the “legalities” that surround the alteration to stock OE emissions systems thus not encouraging people to break emissions laws?)

PERFORMANCE:
    • Are there any other liabilities than potential extended choke time?
    FITMENT:
    • Will it fit?
    (I have poured over the installation instructions and can see no impasse to successful installation if the heat riser is capped off.)

ADVICE:
    • Has anyone used this or an equiv. intake?; Experience with AEM? Suggest a better product? Share experiences? Intake assets/liabilities?

I thank you for you time and effort in advance!
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site
  4. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Thanks! This is a great site and your welcome is greatly appreciated!
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Where are you from in Fairfield county? I'm over in Newtown.
  6. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Because of the thermostatic air cleaner you need to get a C.A.R.B approved cold air intake. Did some searching and K&N is C.A.R.B approved. Check them out.
  7. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Thanks Bry2500! I appreciate the help.

I looked at K&N a while back. At the time they didn't have an intake that supported a throttle body spacer. They even went so far as to warn me off of using their intake with a TBI spacer. I will have to take another look. Perhaps they have something new.

Airaid looked good, and they even make a spacer as well. But they claimed that they didn’t have the room to "house" the filter from the engine compartment, which in my estimation sort of defeated the point.

If I am not mistaken GM has been using the heat riser air cleaner for a number of years. I have had to umm, lose a couple when installing headers and the like and never noticed any real performance issues. But then again, if I had all of the answers...

Thanks again
  8. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Hiya 95CTburb19,
    Hope all's well. Currently, I am living in Weston near the reservoir area. It was goog motivation to upgrade my 4wd acuator. Newtown is quite a nice area. It's 20mi. north or so. rt. 53, 107, 58, 302 If my memory serves me well.

Thanks for the welcome!