A little Fresh Air!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by openmymind, Mar 12, 2009.

1. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Greetings all!
    Registered newbie but have spent time searching threads and have learned a lot. Thanks. I hope to tie into everyone's experience and vision.

Suburban Air Intake issue

Vehicle: 1993 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Suburban w/5.7L, TBI and has/had a thermostatic air cleaner with heat riser (mechanical wax pellet design) no sensors or connection (at least visible) to ECU (ODB1).

Application: AEM Brute Force Intake Model # 21-8001DP (w/ throttle body spacer) to above vehicle.

I am considering purchasing and installing this unit in the near future. But there is one potential “showstopper” that still remains unresolved. AEM did not offer a lot of consolation or have any “specific” information. All my instincts tell me that I only have something to gain and little to lose. However, I prefer to be cautious when spending any hard earned cash, especially now a days.

It is my hope, that you are able to provide some clarity to this issue so that I may proceed with the purchase and installation with minimal trepidation.
    On the AEM website description of the product for the respective 1993 Suburban application, the following caveat is noted:

“* Excludes models with thermostatic air cleaners (heat risers).”

This left me with a lot of questions so...
    My inquiry is as follows:
    • Why is it excluded?
    • What is the issue (or issues) with thermostatic air cleaner models?

(Is this just AEM self-protecting from the “legalities” that surround the alteration to stock OE emissions systems thus not encouraging people to break emissions laws?)

PERFORMANCE:
    • Are there any other liabilities than potential extended choke time?
    FITMENT:
    • Will it fit?
    (I have poured over the installation instructions and can see no impasse to successful installation if the heat riser is capped off.)

ADVICE:
    • Has anyone used this or an equiv. intake?; Experience with AEM? Suggest a better product? Share experiences? Intake assets/liabilities?

I thank you for you time and effort in advance!

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site

4. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Thanks! This is a great site and your welcome is greatly appreciated!

5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Where are you from in Fairfield county? I'm over in Newtown.

6. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Because of the thermostatic air cleaner you need to get a C.A.R.B approved cold air intake. Did some searching and K&N is C.A.R.B approved. Check them out.

7. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Thanks Bry2500! I appreciate the help.

I looked at K&N a while back. At the time they didn't have an intake that supported a throttle body spacer. They even went so far as to warn me off of using their intake with a TBI spacer. I will have to take another look. Perhaps they have something new.

Airaid looked good, and they even make a spacer as well. But they claimed that they didn’t have the room to "house" the filter from the engine compartment, which in my estimation sort of defeated the point.

If I am not mistaken GM has been using the heat riser air cleaner for a number of years. I have had to umm, lose a couple when installing headers and the like and never noticed any real performance issues. But then again, if I had all of the answers...

Thanks again

8. openmymind

openmymind New Member

Hiya 95CTburb19,
    Hope all's well. Currently, I am living in Weston near the reservoir area. It was goog motivation to upgrade my 4wd acuator. Newtown is quite a nice area. It's 20mi. north or so. rt. 53, 107, 58, 302 If my memory serves me well.

Thanks for the welcome!