1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A sad day... 01 Silverado 2500 rusting rocker panels

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thrasher, Oct 12, 2011.

1. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

Oh man, I'm bummin'. I was doing some work this weekend, and discovered that the drivers side rocker panel on my 2001 Silverado HD2500 is rotting out. I also found rot in the right side cab corner & bubbles in the right side rocker. My baby has cancer!!!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

huh, how many miles on it? Take some pictures I'm curious to see what that looks like.
  3. thrasher

It's got just over 97K on it. I only drive it on the weekends if I have side work to do. If I had a decent MIG welder, I'd try replacing them myself. But my MIG is a POS and isn't very easy to adjust down to keep from burning holes in the metal, so I may have to let a body shop handle it.
  4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

You're not alone, they all rot in the north. The metal on most of the original rocker panel is only about 22 gauge, and in areas that need reinforcement (like the rear door latch area on extended cabs and middle door pillar on crew cabs) they add a second layer. Plus there are 3 separate layers to hold garbage inside them, there's the outer rocker panel that you can see from the side of the truck, a backing plate that you can see from under the truck, and a third reinforcement panel between those two.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

dont feel to bad, the 03 i used to have had cancer when I traded it, both rear wheel wells, and both back cab corners. I had 135k tho. 97k is early, tho ur truck is older.

Alex
  6. TRANNY PRO

TRANNY PRO Member

I have a 2000 Silverado L T & I need to do rocker panals & cab corners. So don't feel bad. LOL M
  7. thrasher

Thing is, when I bought the truck, I got a case of 3M u-coating & did the frame & underside of the cab & bed. the ONLY places I couldn't get to were the cab corners & inside the rockers!!!
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

its a plot by GM to make us get new trucks!

lol j/k

ive always wondered if there might be a better way of doing the rear wheel well rockers to make rust less of an issue.

ALex
  9. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

Wow, seems like a lot of your guy's trucks are rusting, is it from the salted snow?
  10. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

Man, even though your truck is 10 years old rusting at only 97k is unfortunate.