1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Squeaky Situation

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by DualInduction2, Feb 15, 2010.

1. DualInduction2

DualInduction2 New Member

I need some help. I'm the proud owner of a black, 2000 Silverado Z71, with the 5.3L, auto trans, push button 4x4, 4 door cab and tons of other extras. My issue: a squeak/squeal I cannot resolve. I've replaced the serpentine 3 times. The direct drive twice. Refurbed the alt. Replaced an idler pully. Replaced the power steering pump. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
  2. DualInduction2

And just in case you're wondering, I do have some aftermarket performance parts. But nothing that should be causing the squeak. Just a cold air intake, mass air flow sensor, throttle body spacer and programmer. My next step is to replace the stock single fan with an electric twin. But that's next month.

Back to my original question, any input will be appreciated. This squeak is about to drive me nuts.
  3. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts

When did this start happening? And does it happen when you are driving, just sitting idle, maybe going up or down hills?
  4. DualInduction2

Typically, the squeak will not start until about 5 minutes after a cold start during idle. Then, it will be intermittent for several more minutes during idle and while moving. After that and the truck is at a relatively stable temp, it will be constant during idle and moving. It audibly increases in speed and decibels as the truck accelerates but will stop climbing and hold at a constant speed and loudness after a certain point. I have not noticed any difference in it during terrain. Nor have I noticed a difference in it during periods of wet or dry weather.
  5. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member

have you checked out the a/c belt? i had little squeak from it. not too hard to replace, two people definitely help.
  6. DualInduction2

Yep, couldn't find a squeak from it, but I replaced it anyway.
  7. DualInduction2

I even checked the tensioner, just in case. But, it specs out fine.
  8. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Check the length of your air intake system for trash - piece of paper, plastic wrapper, etc.
    I thought it sounded silly too, until I found the kmart bag underneath my furnace!

Good luck,
  9. DualInduction2

Good idea, but no trash, that I could find.
  10. Muddflap

Muddflap New Member

Hey just curious ,in case i didnt read your post correctly, did you replace all the puller wheels that touch the serpentine belt? maybe it is one of them. I have a squeak when I first start my truck usually in the morning. I have a 2006 Trailblazer with about 40k on it. get some spray and spray one thing at a time. when it goes away you will know what it is. I know it sounds stupid but it worked for me a couple of times in the past.