1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A suburban project

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, May 12, 2008.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I found a listing for a 1999 Suburban. Only $1200.

The body and interior are immaculate. The truck needs an engine though, and it has 270k in mileage.

Is this worth it as a project rig?
  2. maury

maury New Member

I've got a very clean 99' k1500 with 136k. Edmunds says I could get about $5k. Its worth more than that to me (especially since it it has a new transmission and its paid off). By the time you put an engine in that truck, go through the entire suspension (including ball joints at 270k), and get the AC installed and running (that's at least $500 DIY), you'll probably come out cheaper than the value of the truck, but not much. Then you have to ask yourself how much your time is worth. If its your hobby and you'll enjoy doing the work, then go for it.
  3. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Ah, your probably right.

My plan is for the next suburban that I buy I would own for a long time, so I wouldn't care much about resale value. But I would probably have less headaches by finding a nice low mileage one.

With gas pirces the way they are, I've noticed that some very nice Suburbans are selling considerably below Kelly Blue Book value.
  4. LANDBARG

LANDBARG Rockstar

Not sure what you are looking for but just posted mine up for sale. I was going to street rod mine out eventually, but the truck is so clean and reliable, I have just been driving it and enjoying it. Check it out under the for sale section. I'll have pics up tonight.
  5. Big6ft6

Big6ft6 Rockstar 100 Posts

I couldn't agree more with Maury...if workin' on cars is your hobby and this is a true project truck then go for it!

the engine swap and stuff isn't too hard, but it is time consuming and tedious, if everything else is fine...you can probably find a nice cheap low-mileage engine for pretty low $$ plan on going through the brakes and shocks/ball joints if you really want it nice.

But you are correct in saying some really nice trucks are going for DIRT cheap right now on craigslist and such. If you want a nice reliable rig...and you don't feel the need to work on it to make it yours...then find a nice low mileage truck in the $2000-$3000 range from some responsible owners and just be done with it.
  6. caaahhlvinn

caaahhlvinn New Member

i say go for it. i love projects