1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A total noob with questions

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by mrtheferrett, Apr 5, 2013.

1. mrtheferrett

mrtheferrett New Member

All,

I'm going to be transitioning to full-time RV status and have some towing/truck questions I'm hoping you'll help me answer.

I'll be pulling a 31' 5th wheel (hitch weight 2570 dry/ 4270 wet, Max GVWR 17,500).

I will not be "retired and traveling" but "living and working" so I don't anticipate towing more than four to six times per year. However those trips will probably be across multiple states.

My truck needs to be my daily driver unless I use my scooter or rent a car.

I am a lifelong "car guy" and am used to doing my research before buying. The closest I've been to driving a truck is an SUV. So, I've never driven a truck. What I have learned so far is that the truck market seems dramatically different from the car world.

I always start with the "money is no object" position and then back off from there so I can meet my needs and budget. To that end here's my "money is no object" choice: Silverado 3500HD, Extended cab, Long bed, 2WD, Duramax/Allison, DRW, 3.73 gear. Quite the expensive proposition, I think you'll agree.

I know that best practice is Duramax/Allison and DRW. However I need to ask the question of people who know way more than me: given my intended use and all of the above, do you think I could get away with a gas engine? SRW?

I'm not looking to compromise my saftey or buy a truck that will only last a year but, I'm not made of money and I've never owned a vehicle longer than four years. Regarding the "four years" part, should I readjust my perspective to owning this truck longer (meaning "Is that more of a car thing than a truck thing")?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.