A Truck Isn't a Car so...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Mike, Mar 27, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member 100 Posts

Anyone else ever hear someone complaining about the gas mileage in trucks, especially full sizes? Well one thing that has always made me shake my head when I hear comments like that is this: Trucks are designed for towing and hauling various load capacities depending on its build (1500, 2500, 3500, etc.). They are not Honda Civics!

So of course the gas mileage won't be that great. The shapes aren't always aerodynamic due to the fact the design has to allow for a trucks functionality. It needs to be off the ground if it's four wheel drive! Maybe I'm over thinking this... However, due to recent technological improvements, trucks are getting better fuel economy. Thanks to things like more gears in transmissions, displacement on demand, downsizing engines and equipping them with turbochargers.

What do you guys and gals think? Justified complaints from others or do you see my point? Or maybe both sides?
  2. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member 100 Posts

I'd have to say it's a relative argument. If you're lumping trucks in with ALL vehicles, then of course trucks are not that great at mpg. However, if you're just talking about other full sized trucks then you can have MAY have a leg to stand on in that argument. For instance, I believe that mpg of <10 is HORRIBLE. But that may be normal for some folks (I average almost 16 in my truck, when not loaded). There's also the variable of whether the vehicle is loaded or not. Over all, I'd say it could be a justified complaint as long as the other vehicles you're comparing to have similar capabilities (not comparin the Volt mpg to a fully loaded 3500 diesel on a long road trip). That's my two cents anyways!:neutral:
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My truck gets better gas mileage than my previous cars. My last car was a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 (with the 6.1L HEMI in it). I averaged 11.4mpg combined in that car -- as I just couldn't keep my foot out of it. (I found the electronic limiter on the open road ... it's 165 by the way.) Prior to that I drove a '93 Toyota MR2 turbo (bought new, driven for 13 years) ... and at best that car only saw 13mpg combined because, again, I couldn't keep my foot out of it.

:gasp:
  4. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 100 Posts

My 96 Silverado w/5.7 was better on the Highway than my new Sierra w/5.3! Towing a load, the Sierra is getting 11mpg.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm happy that my Brick on wheels that I drive like a Vette and with 94K on her and everything I've done to it I avg 14.7...
  6. Silverado 2005 LS

Silverado 2005 LS New Member

The ONLY ford I will ever own is my F250 7.3L power stroke diesel(many will understand why) this truck is freaking indestructible. And I have gotten it up to 75lbs of boost with the turbos and I was getting 13mpg(which is avg for my Silvy) and normal highway I get around 18-20mpg. And I use this as a tool, not a pride parade like other people do. This truck has been through hundreds of miles of brush, dirt, mud, it has its battle scars, I've snapped struts, bent step bars almost to point of hitting the body of truck. I f*cking love this truck almost as much as my Silvy, close but no cigar. My Silvy will always be my baby. But I tell my buddies that "that big ass, loud, heavy truck gets 18-20mpg" their jaws hit the ground.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I laugh every time I see a post made about how to get better gas mileage on here, and then thousands of dollars are suggested to remedy this. Like said above It's a truck, I have no complaints about my 2500HD and never will. It is a pulling machine, and It does it well.
  8. Trucking

Trucking New Member

I'm not going to bitch and moan too much because I know what I'm getting into before I make the purchase. But I sure like getting 19-20 in my 2010 5.3 Silverado more than the 16-17 I got with my Titan. My days of getting K&N air filters and different exhaust for improved mpg are over, for sure.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Actually, it's fair to look for mpg's if you're trying to reclaim those lost to mods. It's even fair to spend 500ish clams on a tuner to get 0.5-1.0 mpg more since it WILL pay for the tuner and then start saving a little bit of gas. But beyond that, yea, it's pretty laughable.
  10. ron8879

ron8879 New Member

hmmm. Interesting discussion.....I think it just depends on how people view and think about their trucks. I personally dont haul trailers, dont keep my truck in 4 wheel drive, and dont plan to haul a engine that came out of mack truck.......BUT with that said I do use my 4 wheel drive when its called for and I do like the ability to haul stuff (construction stuff on the house, yard stuff, furnature when needed)......but most days my truck is not loaded and a daily driver so I do think about gas mileage. With all the advances in technology there is no reason that it cant be used on trucks as well as cars.

Ive always said that chevy should have something like a 1000 series or 750 to go with the 1500,2500,3500 for such cases when someone wants a full size truck but not the idea of hauling and less rigidity offered by body on frame design. (key word is full size...it blows hauling a couch in a s-10)

I do understand that on this forum I may be the minority in this view as Ive seen an overall majority trend for people to like lifted trucks and use there trucks to there fullest potenial.