1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A weird upgrade idea?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by sgt_in_usaf, Dec 30, 2007.

1. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf New Member

Ok, so I know this would be so expensive that in no way it would be worth it, but...does anyone know how much it would cost and how much work would be involved with putting a trip computer into an 01 Suburban? Wouldn't have to be anything fancy and I'm thinking it would mostly just involve a new computer, display and something running to the fuel tank? Where would one even be able to get the parts needed to do something like that?

That the one thing I miss from my mini-van (besides the fuel mileage).
  2. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf New Member

I actually just came across something that does this very easily and cheaply. It's called the ScanGaugeII. It plugs into the OBDII port and gives you all kinds of data...in addition to the trip computer, it gives gauge readouts, engine codes, etc.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/

Has anyone used this? Does it really work as advertised???
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome Staff Sergeant Hafey, Thats sounds like a cool gadget $190 ain't to bad either, nice find. I might just try that myself...:great:
  4. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf New Member

Found it for $160 on ebay brand new. Saw a used one in good condition for $110. Worth shopping around for anyways. Can't wait till I can get it. I was reading the user manual for it online and it's amazing all the stuff you can do with it.
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts

6. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member

A friend of mine has 2 of them in his Cobalt SS supercharged, they work great, hes got one constantly on oil pressure, since he doesnt have one on the dash, and one on whatever he feels like, he bought the three gauge pillar post on ebay for cheap and while he was there he upgraded the boost gauge from the same company i believe, (already in the a pillar) and there just awesome.
  7. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf New Member

How do you hook up two of them???
  8. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member

these things have harness ends as T's plug in one side, and piggyback out to the gauge and a new plug on the otherside, so 2 just needs alot of room, which he just took off the obd connector and zip tied it up in the kick panel
  9. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member

I shoulda clicked the link before i posted lol, my friends are actual guages, like round 2.5" gauges with a digital screen
  10. EdPDX

EdPDX New Member

I am not sure what kind of data you would be looking to get from this kind of equipment; but I get plenty of info from my Garmin Rino 120 GPS unit. It give MPH. direction miles to from, even with map overlays. Plus you get a com device in case its wrong and you need to call for help :rofl:

Ed