1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

? about cold air intakes that members have added

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bigbomber, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I am thinking about adding a cold air intake system to my truck and would really like hear from members on here that have added these to their trucks.Which brand you have added BANKS,VOLANT,K&N OR,S&B? and if you have noticed a considerable difference in throttle response?Thanks
  2. Bigbomber

Anyone?17 views and no response
  3. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have had a K&N and an AirAid on my truck, the K&N had a bigger intake tube, and what seemed to be a better filter then the AirAid, but with the K&N on my truck, it didn't allow the space for a throttle body spacer, K&N vs AirAid(intake and Throttlebody Spacer) the air aid won, intake vs intake, i think K&N is better then AirAid.
  4. Bigbomber

Thanks ippielb.Did you notice a difference in mpg or throttle response ?and are your filters the paper throwaways or the reusable ones?
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

BigBomber,

I'm an old fogey now-59, so my negative feelings on CAIs might be because I'm old and grouchy.

I used to LOVE to modify my cars,trucks, motorcycles.

Now, I've come to think that the OEM engineers are just too good. I don't think the aftermarket suppliers of CAIs can beat the OEM engineers.

They-GMs engineers can test their intake systems and set them up to intake tune-get those waves to bounce back and forth at certain RPMs-much better than the aftermarket guys can.

The aftermarket will claim that they can decrease total intake resistance to lower levels than the OEM arrangement. This might be true-BUT they will lose some of the intake tuning-which is probably accounted for in the ECM maps. Yes, the aftermarket MIGHT, MIGHT get a slight increase in peak power-maybe 10 hp- but it will be WAAAAAY up the rpms band at 5500 rpms or so-where no one ever runs. Now to get this smallish increase, you will give up some of the very crisp throttle response, some of the mid rpm range throttle response and mid range throttle plate position throttle response.

Bottom line-I don't think CAIs are worth the $$ because the OEM stuff is so good.

Now N20 works, turbo and superchargers-work. CAIs, expensive aftermarket exhaust systems-not worth the money since it is usually just a small increase waaaay up the RPM band, and usually you give up some throttle response(though fancy electronic controls usually mange to keep the throttle response pretty good).

Now some CAIs and exhaust systems make some MPG claims-those are outright lies.On a modern drive by wire system like your 2009- there isn't any way a CAI could improve part throttle FE.The computer controls total intake resistance-a lower resistance filter is counteracted by just the computer just closing the throttle plate more in drive by wire systems.

I'm old and grouchy, but N2O gives the most bang for $$-CAI waste of $$(noisy also).

Charlie
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I added the Volant closed box CAI and like the throttle response I get. I also like the look and sound when I need extra speed. There's also a post on here by JennaBear that compares the different CAIs. She recommends the open air design. It will also depend on how you use your truck. The closed design is safer if you spend time off-roading. Take a look on this site. There are a few posts about CAI. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I had a K&N on my truck... It was louder when you stomped on the pedal, and it did pick up a touch of throttle response.. But my MPGs actually went down about .5mpg after i got used to keeping my foot out of it.. I took a trip from GA to MN which that truck took multiple times with the stock intake and it got around 20-20.75mpg on those i drove at 75 with the cruise on thru an entire tank,... With the CAI i got roughly 19.5 thru the entire trip i never got over 20mpg.. But i have heard of people getting more MPGs..
  8. Bigbomber

WOW! .Lots of good info here,differing opinions but definitly good stuff.I love our site.Thank you guys for taking the time to answer,i appreciate it.
  9. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I put a k&n on mine shortly after I got the truck. I noticed a difference in throttle response and mpg's. Worth the money imo
  10. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

My 2 cents,
    I put a much less expensive Spectre on my '04 Suburban, ($200 can.) like the sound , does get a better throttle response, mpgs a bit lower than before. But honestly I think i should change my spark plugs and get back to you on the mpgs.