1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

About leveling kits...same as cranking the keys?? whats the difference??

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by lube70, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lube70

lube70 New Member

Hey, have a 2006 silverado 1500 series crew cab. Wanted to do the whole leveling thing and then found a nice 3" leveling (lift kit) with springs and keys and shock extensions.

My question is that I don't want to damage or stress the front suspension by "cranking" the torsion bars. Do the keys eliminate that or does it just allow you to crank it more.

Any help is appreicated. Please also tell me if anyone has a good kit for the 6 lug silverado for leveling or 2" or 3" lift.

Thanks

Don
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most of the kits I've seen don't have shock extenders for the 1500, they are usually for the 2500's. And as far as the physics goes, the aftermarket torsion keys just allow you to twist up the torsion bar more than the stock keys allow. 3" is probably as far as you can go without serious ill effects, and if you plan on doing a lot of off- roading I would go with a full suspension lift. If you are staying on the street you'll be fine with a leveling kit. I put the Pro Comp keys on my truck and so far I'm really happy with the results, gained quite a bit of lift and the ride is better than stock in my opinion.
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I've leveled out both my '95 Tahoe and my '03 Av by just adjusting the torsion bars... I haven't had any ill effects due to this... But I've also been told that I'm lucky... Some GM's have alot of adjustment on the torsion bars, and some don't have any...