Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

About to take a major road trip to New York.. few questions about my 2005 Silverado..

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by pissonbinladen, Jul 25, 2011.

1. pissonbinladen

pissonbinladen New Member

Hey everyone, haven't been around lately as I got rehired back into the oil field.. but I finally got a 3 days off so I thought I would come in and get some advice real quick.

I've got my 3 month vacation coming up this coming September and I'm taking a vacation to NY. I live in Arkansas, and its a 1,300 mile journey to N.Y. from where I live in Arkansas.. I've driven there before, back in 2007. The truck only had like 64k on it back then.. so it made it there and back just fine.. and that includes the driving around and stuff while I was in N.Y. and N.J.

However, as of 3 or 4 days ago.. my truck rolled over to 100k miles. The truck runs fine mechanically.. runs great actually.. and the truck overall.. is in good condition.. just has a few minor things here and there that need fixed, but aren't emergency fixes you know what I mean?

I have not had any servicing done to the truck as of yet.. and I was thinking it would be best to have some servicing done to it since it rolled over to 100k few days ago.. and with my upcoming trip to NY/NJ.

I was thinking of having the following done:

-Transmission service (drain/fill with new fluid and replace filter)
    -Have new fuel filter installed
    -New air filter
    -Oil change
    -New Spark Plugs/wires

I also need tires.. but, I've been wanting to get another set of wheels/tires to put on it for a while now.. and now that I have the money for a good used set, I figure I might as well just go ahead and buy the wheels/tires instead of just buying tires for the stock wheels which are currently installed on the truck.

I was just going to rent a nice car/suv and drive that there and back.. but **** man, they want like between 500 to 1,000k dollars just to rent a car for a week! So, I mean.. with my truck hitting the 100k mark few days ago, I might as well just go ahead and spend the money to service my truck.. and get it ready for the trip. I mean, its going to need the servicing soon enough anyhow.. so I might as well just get it serviced now.. that way its done.. ready for another 100k.. PLUS.. it'll be ready for the road trip.

With having all that servicing done.. the truck will be good for another 100k miles I would think.. and should be more than ready for the journey to NY/NJ and back.. but I want others opinions on this.

Any advice/help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In looking at your list of items to have serviced, I would mentioned that your Silverado being a 05" does not have a inline Fuel Filter, the filter is in the Fuel Filter tank and is part of the fuel pump Assembly........I would mention some of the other items to look at for Servicing,
    ......Flush Coolant
    ......Check the Brake pads
    ......Check all Hoses and replace if needed
    ......Lube the Front End
    ......and for Spark Plugs, you would want go to with A/C Delco Iridium tip Spark Plugs.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I'm throwing in differential fluids, transfer case fluid (if you have 4x4), and brake fluid, in addition to the two previous lists.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Belt!!! Change the belt AND??? If you are coming to the Big Apple let me know.. I'll show you around like I have many before and show you how they drive up here.. And Maybe even take you to Rutt's hutt for the Best Hot Dogs in the US and a VIP tour of OCC.... Please keep in touch....
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1362

5. pissonbinladen

Thanks!

Sweet. Thanks for the additional list buddy! I had the brakes replaced just 6 months ago, so I "should" be alright as far as that goes.. but I may go ahead and have the technician just take a quick look at the pads/rotors just to make sure its alright. Lube the front end.. yeah, that SURELY needs done by now because I don't think its ever had the front end lubed.. not to my knowledge anyhow.

That sucks hearing about the 'in tank' fuel filter, dang it. Which would mean a LOT more servicing time, which would therefore mean a bigger bill once its all said and done.. they'd have to drop the tank.. take out the fuel pump/filter.. uggghhh.

Thanks for the help bud!

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Thanks for the offer avalanche, but I've got a few good friends up in NJ/NY. My family is Sicilian (Italian) - my parents moved to the central U.S., for what reason? I have no idea.. because there's nothing to do around here.. but we still have friends/family that live in Belmar, NJ and in N.Y. - So I'll be alright as far as getting a 'tour'. Plus, I already drive like a New Yorker.. so there's no improvements needed on that end. I also have my Garmin GPS which I took with me back in 2007 when I came up there.. didn't get lost not one time. :)

However, I didn't see O.C.C. - I wasn't sure how far out away from the city they were.. like how long of a drive it would be to get to the O.C.C. shop, if I were coming from N.Y. I also wanted to go see Niagra Falls.. but ****, its a fair distance from N.Y. and plus I didn't really plan for it either, so I didn't have the extra money/gas to get there.. not even sure if I'll be able to see it this year for that matter... but I'll have plenty of other things to do to keep my butt busy. ;)

Thanks again everyone, for the help with my questions.

Greatly Appreciated!

and wouldn't ya know it, I just got called in to work.. woohoo. :|

take care ppl.

-Mikey

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Thanks for the offer avalanche, but I've got a few good friends up in NJ/NY. My family is Sicilian (Italian) - my parents moved to the central U.S., for what reason? I have no idea.. because there's nothing to do around here.. but we still have friends/family that live in Belmar, NJ and in N.Y. - So I'll be alright as far as getting a 'tour'. Plus, I already drive like a New Yorker.. so there's no improvements needed on that end. I also have my Garmin GPS which I took with me back in 2007 when I came up there.. didn't get lost not one time. :)

However, I didn't see O.C.C. - I wasn't sure how far out away from the city they were.. like how long of a drive it would be to get to the O.C.C. shop, if I were coming from N.Y. I also wanted to go see Niagra Falls.. but ****, its a fair distance from N.Y. and plus I didn't really plan for it either, so I didn't have the extra money/gas to get there.. not even sure if I'll be able to see it this year for that matter... but I'll have plenty of other things to do to keep my butt busy. ;)

Thanks again everyone, for the help with my questions.

Greatly Appreciated!

and wouldn't ya know it, I just got called in to work.. woohoo. :|

take care ppl.

-Mikey

6. Enkeiavalanche

OCC from the city is about 1 1/2 The falls 7 hours...If you want to go to OCC let me know....I am inbetween the city and there...

7. pissonbinladen

Hey yeah, sounds good my friend. I might take you up on that.

8. Enkeiavalanche

No problem just let me know when....