1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

abs acting weird

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 98Z713dr, May 18, 2010.

1. 98Z713dr

98Z713dr New Member

tried searching didnt find anything.

scenario: priodically when coming to a stop just as im getting to almost a complete stop the abs kicks in for a few seconds and then is fine. no abs light on and it doesnt do it everytime time i stop. not sure where to start looking. i have only had the truck a week it has 172k on it. i have changed and flushed all fluids except for the brake fluid havent got a chance to yet. its pretty dark in color so i know it needs changed and flushed. could this be causing it? or is there an abs sensor starting to go bad just not bad enough to set a light? it seems like its the right front wheel but not sure. any info would be helpful thanks guys.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

You don't say what year your truck is, but pretty common problem for older trucks with that kind of mileage. It is most likely a bad wheel sensor in the front. You could try changing or cleaning the right side and hope that fixes it.

But it would be money well spent to take it to a shop that can watch all the wheel speed sensors at once while you drive it. In my case, the ABS controller was bad, I pulled the fuse.
  3. 98Z713dr

98Z713dr New Member

its a 98. yeah i know those can be expensive i was looking at a 99 while back it needed one and it close to a grand or so
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Duh. I just read your user name LOL:lol:
  5. msvx95

msvx95 Member

Mine did this after the front hub abs sensors were corroded...replaced both hub assemblies a few years ago and it did it again. So recently I just bought two new ones, installed and drives like new.
    My abs light never came on on either occasion but I know what you are going through. It drives you nuts and just gets worse. Change out your hubs $175/per and some labor.
  6. Land Shark

Land Shark New Member

I had to replace a wheel sensor in the front of my truck. Not just the sensor the whole hub and sensor. Good times. Once I did that I had no problems.
  7. msvx95

msvx95 Member

yes you can't replace only the sensor because it's not replaceable by itself. Poor design where you have to replace the whole assembly :(
  8. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

And as a stop gap till you can get it repaired pull the ABS fuse so you know you can stop when you hit the brakes.
  9. msvx95

msvx95 Member

Good idea...mine was so bad I almost crashed in a parking lot trying to park!
  10. Beer Belly

Beer Belly New Member

My local Chevy Dealer pulled and cleaned my ABS Sensors as a courtesy.....been fine ever since