1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ABS Brake Fluid Change

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Stretch56, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

I'm planning on flushing & bleeding the brakes on my 03 Yukon XL 2500 but apparently the ABS will be a problem because I don't have a scanner to open the valve. I was planning on doing the "Dirt Road Stomp and Slide" but I came across an "ABS Brake Proportioning Valve Depressor" and wondered if it would work in place of the scanner. The Depressor looks just like a tool I had for my Brake Proportioning Valve on my 79 GMC Jimmy, so I don't know if it's a mis-print or not. I would have to buy (2) of them for around $50.

Has anybody used this?

ABS Brake Proportioning Valve Depressor.jpg
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I used a motive power bleeder. Sure it may not have gotten all of the old fluid out, but it got most of it. I have never used or seen what you have posted. but, the abs valves are in the abs unit mounted under the driver seat on the from. so that thing is not going to be pressing them. too bad you are not local, I would not mind using my scan tool to actuate your valves.
  3. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

Pikey,
    Thanks for the help and the offer of the scanner. I've heard allot of good things about the Motive Power bleeder and the pressure style of bleeding but I already have a small Mityvac so I'll try that first.

I found a good post on another site from a GM engineer about the primary and secondary chambers of the ABS module. If I understood it correctly, you'll get brake fluid through the primary chamber when you bleed, but never from the secondary unless you actuate it with a scanner or by a hard brake.

Regarding the clip, I've seen a few posts about some guys using C-Clamps to actuate the valve but I'm not sure if it applies to my Yukon or not. I guess in those applications the C-Clamp is used, the clip might work.

I wonder if you can apply voltage directly to the module to actuate it ? I'll try to locate a schematic of the module connector and see what it involves although if I fried it, I'd be out $550 for a new one. Heck for the price of a new module and a couple of dealer brake bleeds, I could almost afford a MDI.