ABS/ Brake issue on our trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 16, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

HI, first time posting here. Got a big concern.

Being "like a rock" a trucks are not known for good breaks. Thoughthere has never been a recall, consumer reports complain about the ridiculousABS stopping distance for a 5,200 lb truck.... its bad.
    though still better than the ford bronco =)

I almost completely took someone out recently because, texting, they stopped ona dime at a yellow light at about 50MPH... to text...

SLAMMING on the breaks, and swerving around them, i was forced to continuethrough the light because it was as if my momentum had not arrested even in theslightest. I heard a -chirp- and then it felt like I lost breaking....... very unsettling.

Later, on a disserted street, I did the same thing again. With, and without theABS fuse in place (down and left of the steering Colum)
    Locking brakes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!!!

But, pulling that fuse causes check engine lights, which means; closed-loop,run rich, horrible gas millage.... so we cant have that either.

My question(s) is:
    How do you disable that ugly ABS unit?
    Is there a way to tune them so they function better?

Is there a break upgrade kit you may have that feels life-savingly better thanwhat was stock?

let me know what you think
    THANKS ALL!!

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What year and model is your truck? You could always do the disc brake conversion in the rear if it has drums. My dad's abs "pump" went bad on his Avalanche. He just unplugged the pump near the master cylinder. No check engine light, I think that the abs light is on but that is it. Now it has no abs
  3. K15 Blazer Guy

oops
    its a 1993, K1500 Blazer (silverado) with a manual 5-speed
    537907_10150944742532542_779702541_12856223_598225619_n.jpg

and yeah, disc in the rear in certainly a plan...
    didnt know the 'pump' could go bad. Ill hafta take it somewhere for troubble shooting.
    The guy a bought it from just had the brakes re-done on it... so maybe air in the line(s) too.......
    either way, locking brakes seems superior... stupid congress mandating ABS...
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

It seems to be working without malfuntion or air in the system... but where did he unplug the ABS pump to not cause a main ECU problem?

Im gonna take it to "brake masters" when i get a chance. they do great on chevys.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. Pikey

Next time I go over his house I will take a picture of it. My yukon is not the same set up as his
  6. K15 Blazer Guy

sweet. thanks dude!
  7. Pikey

I wish that I would have seen the post earlier. I just got home from there. :neutral:
  8. Pikey

0527121746a.jpg
    He unplugged the connector on this pump under the truck near the fuel filter. Sorry that the picture is so crappy. I used my phone. the connector is on the left. He has no SES light just the ABS light.

Attached Files:

9. K15 Blazer Guy

oh weird, mine is different though...
    i have the whole huge assembly taking up the driver side fender-well

i dont know when congress required this crap, but im sure this is early generation... and therefore, ****.

really apreciate the help, but i think this is the one thing on this truck i will be paying someone else to mess with. brakes are too important to leave to chance
    lol
  10. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member 100 Posts

I disabled my ABS system on my 2k 2500. I just unplugged the 3 multipin connectors at the ABS pump/controller on the drivers side fenderwell.
    You will have to unsnap the holding clamps of the computer looking module to reach the plugs on the ABS pump assy, but then you snap it back down in place.