ABS brake problems.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by tahoetroy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tahoetroy

tahoetroy New Member

I have a 99 Tahoe, has anyone had any problems with there ABS system? I have an intermittent problem, where under regular conditions and braking, the peddle vibrates and makes a "vrrrrrrr" noise. This happens every now and then and just when stopping normally, not slamming on the brakes or anything like that. The rotors and pads are all in great shape. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

Is this a 2wd or 4wd? I think there was a GM bulliten where there was rust build-up on the reluctor wheel or the abs sensor in the hub had rust on it.

3. tahoetroy

tahoetroy New Member

it is a 4x4. thanks for your reply

4. NYPDTAHOE

NYPDTAHOE New Member

I have a 2000 Tahoe and had the exact problem. Tahoetroy was absolutely correct - it was a corroded brake sensor. It cost me $200 to have the dealership take care of the problem BUT it did fix it!!

5. bostic8

bostic8 Rockstar

Just in case anyone needs one I have a new wheel speed sensor that I no longer need I bought two to replace both of mine and ended up having to replace my LF wheel bearing which came with another sensor in it already so now I have a sensor that I do not need.

6. hmfdphil

hmfdphil New Member

ABS problems

I am having a similar problem. I replaced both wheel bearing assemblies on my 99 2500 Suburban 4x4 about 6 months ago. When I first start up and go I will drive a little and then when I go to stop the brake pedal starts vibrating and the pedal goes to the floor and I can't stop. Usually the ABS light comes on and the brakes work again but without the ABS working obviously. The light goes out eventually and then it might happen again. Anybody have any ideas before I wreck?!?!

7. tahoetroy

tahoetroy New Member

how much are the sensors, and where are they located on the vehicle?

8. Duramax04

Duramax04 Rockstar

Are you loosing any brake fluid?

9. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

Try pulling the ABS fuse and driving the vehicle to see if the problem persists.

10. hmfdphil

hmfdphil New Member

ABS Problems

I am not losing brake fluid. And my next thing to do was to pull the fuse and see what happens. If that is the problem where do go next? Thanks for everybodys help.