ABS issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jimmyjet, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jimmyjet

jimmyjet New Member

Being out in the Pacific Ocean has its problems,my ABS light is on and its left front speed sensor. Trying to find out what tools I will need to do this myself instead of paying $500. Any suggestions and step by step diagrams out there.?

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your questions, but I did move your thread to the correct section and changed your title so that you will draw in faster and more responses relevant to your topic.

Good luck!!

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What year truck are we talking about? Do you plan on just changing the sensor or the entire hub? 2wd or 4x4? If you are changing just the sensor all you need is an allen wrench set. You pull the bolt out, pull the old sensor and reverse the process to install. Many times you can not get the old sensor out without it breaking, many people just replace the entire hub. You can do this with a basic socket set and a 34mm socket for the axle shaft nut.

4. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

dont forget that you willl need tools to remove the brakes! and if you brake the sensor they are still easy to get out so dont let that stop you.

5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a 2002 2wd and I replaced the hub and sensor and I don't remember needing anything special. It was an easy fix on mine. Welcome to the club and good luck. :glasses:

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The only difference between the two jobs is the axle shaft that come thru the 4x4 model. A basic socket set and the 34mm socket is all that should be needed. Well, maybe a breaker bar to get the caliper bracket bolts loose.