1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

ABS Issues?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Swatchvy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Swatchvy

Swatchvy Rockstar

I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into any issues with their GM abs systems. My 2 brothers and I all own GM products and we all have taken out the abs fuse in our trucks. The problem was that the abs always kicked on, even in the middle of summer on dry pavement and in the winter it was a nightmare my truck was like the energizer bunny it just kept going and going. The vehicles with issue were a 97 Silverado 1500, 03 Silverado 1500, 03 Silverado 3500, 03 Sierra 3500, 00 S10, and an 03 Suburban. Normally I would think the problem is just mine, but since we all had problems, I didnt know if we were the only ones.

2. 96Z71

96Z71 New Member

I have a 96 Z71 and i have the same issue. I have been trying to figure out the cause but have had no success. The only thing i can even come close to is that i did have a brake line go out on me, maybe there is air in the abs that i cant get out without a scantool for abs.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the ABS just kicks on for no reason then you may want to check for mud, debris, or bent wheel speed sensors. The reason the ABS kicks on and rattles your foot is because the computer "thinks" one or more of your wheels is turning at a different speed than the other wheels.

4. TxGm800

TxGm800 New Member

I have ABS Issues with my 99 Silverado also. I have Ramdomly replaced the ABS computer & all the sensors. That wasnt cheap because the sensors are "built into" the front Hub Ass. & I had to buy both @ 300 each!!! Still same problem. Mechanic says it needs a new computer AGAIN!!

5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

wow forget that! I'm glad I just disconnected my module. Saved my self $600 dollars. :great:

6. Swatchvy

Swatchvy Rockstar

Amen to that

7. jchambers849

jchambers849 Member

Mine had the same problem... luckily under a 30 day / 1000 mile warrenty. Wheel sensors didn't fix the problem so it went bad just a day later and the ABS module (computer) was replaced at about $800. After it was replaced, the added boost from the new module blew every brake line in the truck. Needless to say I bet the dealership lost money on the truck after doing all that work.

My work has 4 Chevy vans... 3 1ton SRW and 1 1ton DRW... 04's and 06's. they all have had ABS issues, multple times each in fact. Seems as though Chevy trucks are plagued by a poorly designed braking system.

8. udderchaos

udderchaos Rockstar

If I pull my ABS fuse, will it turn the ABS light on.? With the fuse pulled does it have any effect on the braking abilities.? This is on my 99 GMC K3500 Dually. I pull a trailer and don't need any more surprises...

9. KirkW

KirkW Rockstar

Pulling the ABS fuse, indeed removing the ABS computer will have no affect on the regular brakes. ABS is a fail-safe system in that regard.

If the ABS computer is bad, then you might get it repaired for $130 here:

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Chevy/Chevytruck_info.php

Note: they can only repair certain models of the Kelsey-Hayes ABS computers - check the web-site for exact details.

The only ABS problems I've experienced in my GM fleet is on my wife's '00 Pontiac Grand Prix. We had one front hub-sensor go bad at 70k miles. Later, (100k miles) we had a lower control-arm rubber bushing wear out. The funny motion of the control-arm didn't affect the handling much but did give us an ABS code. Now (130k miles), the ABS computer is on the fritz (too many alarms?), and is now at ModuleMaster as I type this.

In talking with GM mechanics, they said the most common ABS problems are loose/dirty connectors at the wheels. The frequently fix ABS codes by simple checking all the wiring, making sure the connectors are clean and secured in place.

As for bleeding the brakes on ABS systems. Some ABS computers have 'dead-ends' that aren't bled without a scan tool. But it also means air is unlikely to get in unless the ABS valves are replaced. But if air in the ABS is suspect then a 'shade-tree' method to cycle the ABS is to jam on brakes on a slippery road (dirt, mud, sand, snow). When the ABS valves cycle, any old fluid and air will be expelled. Of course, this means your brakes may be dramatically (and negatively) affected by the sudden introduction of air into the system - be careful with this method! Once you get the vehicle safely home, bleed the brakes again to get rid of the air and dirty fluid.

10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It seems obvious but you will now be able to lock the brakes up and slide. I unplugged all of the connectors from the module under the hood and I don't have any ABS lights on. :neutral: