1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ABS issues

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by hutch_pt, May 6, 2009.

1. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

I have just replaced my rotors and pads on my 2004 silverado, and since that time, my ABS light is going off and on, inconsistently, and my ABS motor is engaging when stopping, again inconsistently. When the ABS engages, the truck pulls to the right while stopping. I have used two different code readers, and both times it has come back with no codes on the truck. We have inspected the sensor cables, and didn't see any cuts in the wires or disconnections. I have convinced myself it is the ABS sensor in one of the front hubs, but I wanted to see what you guys think before buying new parts yet...

Thanks in advance
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Get it scanned with a real scanner and not a code reader. You won't see the ABS codes unless your scanner is able to access the ABS Module. This will tell you which sensor is acting up. Otherwise you will be guessing.
  3. hutch_pt

Thank you sir. Does the pulling give any indication? I could see it either way, that the right side could be locked up and pulling, or that the ABS is causing the L side not to brake as well as the R, thus causing the pull to the Right.

Thanks again for the help.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yep it could go either way.
  5. hutch_pt

turns out it was the front left hub. When you pulled the caliper and rotor, with plate with the lug bolts in it fell to the ground. Kind of scary really. The hub was cut clean in two. The ABS light was due to build up on the sensor with the metal shavings from the hub being cut apart...

Thanks for the help
  6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

damn man, I'm glad it didn't come apart on you while you were driving down the road. And I'm glad you fixed the problem.