1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

ABS light on

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by pikefisher, Aug 16, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. travisn

travisn Rockstar

any more info on this? Pics? thinking of giving this a shot

2. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Which one? The wheel sensors or the ABS computer?

The wheel sensors are easy.

The ABS computer develops cracks on the solder. It needed to be taken out from under the driver side frame rail. If I remember, I did a search on YOUTUBE and found the repair step by step. I'll see if I can find it tonight. You need to get the codes pulled to check which component is failing the test.

3. travisn

travisn Rockstar

Sorry, the reflow part. I've been planning on just replacing the whole unit as I found some posts talking about the power/ground wires to the motor corrode. I can't find one on ebay for less than $150. Might have to go crawl around in the junk yard but idk if I have time or motivation to do that. haha

4. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Good luck finding a good used one from the junkyard that will last.
    Just crawl under your truck and fix it. You can drive it while it is out for repair, just make sure you cover the surface where it came from very well with plastic.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

why are you jumping on the ABS unit as the problem . you do any troubleshooting ? get codes ?

the front hubs are the biggest problem with this abs .

6. travisn

travisn Rockstar

The lights been on the whole time I've had the truck and I've changed both hubs/cleaned out the sensor area (which wasn't that dirty/covered in metal bits)

7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

replacing the parts is half the job. the voltage must be measured as I described in my earlier posting.

also any rust or metal on the sensor pick up means the hub is no good. also the hub must come with sensors that are calibrated to the hub . your testing of these NEW hubs is required to ensure they are correct.

the ABS failure codes must be revealed to be sure that the ABS module is the problem . this module is very expensive to replace NEW !

the ground connection has to be removed and the frame and connector must be sanded wire brushed to provide a solid ground. just be sure to remove the battery ground connection first.