ABS module removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Jun 10, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I am about to tackle the above today so i can send the module for repair. I cleaned all four torx head screws from dirt build up and successfully loosened them. I wa able to remove the power connector but struggled a bit removing the bigger connecter. How is this connector locked to the female end? I cannot seem to find the locking tab.
    Thanks.

I am talking about the mass connector in the picture i borrowed below.
    ABS module.jpg

2. bazar01

I pulled the ABS module today. The mass connector has a red tab that you need to pull down to release the connector. Once I got it out, I followed the diy step by step and opened the top cover by slicing the RTV along the parting line. The top cover is held in place by six (6) T8 torx screws.
    Once opened, I saw all the solder connections that were suspect especially the ones on the relays. Reflowed the solder joints and sealed it back up.
    Test drove and the ABS Brake lights did not come back anymore. Been driving for the last 30 miles and still OFF.
    I saved the $150 repair cost that Module master charges/

Thanks GMTC for the step by step diy.

3. bazar01

ABS and Brakes lights on instrument panel still OFF after 100 miles. I believe my ABS module is fixed.

Now I can use the savings on new brake pads and rotor resurface.

4. FordBoy33

FordBoy33 New Member

Great, need to do this on my 2001 Sub, also.

5. bazar01

It has been 10k miles since the ABS repair and still no ABS faults on the dash.

6. FordBoy33

FordBoy33 New Member

Great. Was this on your 2001 Suburban? If so, what was the behavior? On mine, most of the time you drive the car, the ABS and brake lights both come on soon after getting underway, but sometimes you can drive for miles/hours without them coming on. I do notice that when the lights are ON, I can lock up the rear wheels with moderately heavy braking.

And where are the full DIY steps you mentioned? I searched on this forum and don't see it. I did find a YouTube video where the guy is soldering some connections.

Thanks!

7. bazar01