Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

ABS problems

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by jagerdoo22, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jagerdoo22

jagerdoo22 New Member

I have a 2005 silverado ext cab 4x4 (with only 17,000 miles) and the ABS is engaging at random. The ABS light is NOT on, nor has it ever come on. When I come to a slow stop the ABS kicks in, or when I make sharp, tight left turns it kicks in (even though i do not have my foot on the brake). It does not occur every time, it is random, so I am unsure of the cause...would appreciate any insights you may have...? Could this just been an ABS sensor, or some bigger problem?

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You probably have an issue with one of the wheel speed sensors. A bent bracket or a rock or mud can cause the sensor to send false signals to the computer. This causes the ABS to act up. There might be a code stored in memory. If so it will tell you which sensor is acting up.

3. dzmolek

dzmolek New Member

If your ABS is engaging on regular road conditions, jack the front end of your truck up and check your from wheel bearings in both sides. I the pressed bearing happened to blow out it will leak grease onto the wheel speed sensor causing the abs to kick on and off at random times when braking because the sensor has grease on it.