Abs & Red Brake Lights On

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Ragtp66, Apr 29, 2007.

Newest Photos

1. Ragtp66

Ragtp66 New Member

I have an issue that I am trying to resolve.

I have a 92 K2500 4wd 8600 GVW burb. I replaced both front rotors/calipers/pads the rears are adjusted properly. My abs light will intermittently come on then go off while driving. In the past couple of days also the red brake light will sometimes come on with the abs light ...ODDLY when you step on the brake BOTH lights will go off until you start rolling again then either just the abs light or both will come back on again. I have a good pedal and no issues with stopping the brake fluid is full and does not appear to be leaking the parking brake is not applied. Last ODD thing is my hazard lamps do not work correctly.

I have tried replacing the flashers no change.Last my brake lamps will stay on after releasing the brak unless i pull up on the brake pedal with my toe after taking off. Here are my questions. #1 I am leaning toward a failed brake lamp switch as the cause of the brake lights continuing to stay on and possibly might be the cause of the hazards not working --wondering your thoughts?

Could this also be related to the RED brake lamp coming on and off? I have tried retrieving the codes for the abs but I cannot seem to get them through jumping the aldl connector. I believe my hydrobooster might be failing as well but I do not think that would cause any abs or brake lamp codes as there are no electrical connectors attached to it. Any ideas on where to start first ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know this is going to sound weird but how is the emergency brake pedal?

During a recent inspection I noticed than on cold mornings if I used the emergency brake, then release it. The pedal on the emergency brake popped up, but not all the way.

If I put my foot under the emergency brake pedal and pulled it up the brake light would go out.

The cable needed adjustment.
  3. Ragtp66

Ragtp66 New Member

Well one problem solved replaced brake lamp switch part #15961519 that took care of my abs/brake lights and the brake lamps staying on. Still have to figure out the booster/power steering pump issue.