1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ABS warning light/ speedometer/ transmission Issue?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Doug357, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Doug357

Doug357 New Member

I have a 97 Tahoe 4wd W/automatic transmission. I have just had a problem I hope someone can help me out with. After driving at highway speeds 65-70 for about 25 miles as I slowed then stopped the ABS warning light came on the speedometer went to 0 and it seemed like the transmission was disengaged or slipping. I put in neutral then back into drive, nothing. I slipped it down into 3rd, nothing. When I put into 2nd it ran and I was able to go the ½ mile home with the speedometer staying at 0. After sitting awhile it seems ok and moves in reverse and in drive, and the ABS warning light is gone. What gives? Is this a break issue causing the computer to disengage the transmission to or is it a transmission problem giving an ABS warning light? Where do I start?
    Thanks for any help you may offer.
    Doug
  2. kystang90

kystang90 New Member

PM sent
    Hoping someone can chime in here i have a 2002 Z71 with the exact same issue and i have replaced both wheel bearing(front)with wheel speed sensors and a vehicle speed sensors.Checked all the grounds and connections.Hoping someone has had a similiar scenario here.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

For you it sounds like a PCM issue to be honest since the PCM gets its signal from the VSP, and sends it to the speedo.
    As to the problem above i would start with a Vehicle speed sensor.