1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC air inlet door

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cookj, Jun 25, 2013.

1. cookj

cookj New Member

Hello. I'm new to this site and actually posted another question a short while ago over in the CK forums regarding mirrors. As i have the opporutunity and/or learn how, i will fill my signature. In the meantime, i just bought a '99 C2500 crewcab(OBS), with a 5.7 and auto tranny. The a/c compressor was on its way out so had a mechanic friend replace it along with the accumulator and dryer a couple of weeks ago. The fan speed at each setting seems fine, but, the air temperature isn't as cool as it should be. I discovered the air inlet door (beneath dash on passenger side) wasn't operating when pressing the "recirc" button. I bought another acuator, and without installing it, plugged it in; i saw the shaft turn and now am of the opinion that i have a bad actuator and not necessarily a bad control head. Would you guys agree?? If so, I'm not looking forward to replacing this actuator and thought in lieu of, maybe i could simply prop up the blend door in some manner so that cooler cabin air would circulate and bring the temperatures down abit. Am i thinking right here?? If i attempt this, i don't want to break the door and have another problem. Has anyone tried to get a screwdriver or blade head on the shaft of the actuator and turn it to manually operate the door?? Any help would be appreciated. thanks, James
  2. cookj

cookj New Member

Wow, no one?? Anyway, last night I attempted to force the actuator in either direction using a slide rule through the slotted shaft; I couldn't get it to budge. So, this morning I went by a local AC shop and tomorrow will drop the truck off for them to replace the actuator; they quoted me $255 otd, which, i guess isn't too bad based on other quotes i recieved. Also, gonna have them pull and check the orifice tube for any restrictions. James