1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ac bypass

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by chris77, May 30, 2012.

1. chris77

chris77 New Member

i have a 1998 350 tbi chevy truck and on my way to work the compressor locked up. is there a belt i can use to bypass the ac compressor
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am pretty sure that your owners manual will have a belt listed for "without AC". If not go to your autoparts store they will be able to tell you the correct one. I checked the autozone site for your truck. It lists multiple belts for your truck with no ac. It depends on your alternator size. The alternator sizes they list with the length of the belt are: 100, 105 no size listed , 120 amp Effective Length (in): 95.08 , 140amp Effective Length (in): 88
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  3. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member 100 Posts

Good luck with this. I don't believe you can usually get by with such things on a Chevy.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They do sell a contraption that is a bypass pulley on LMCtruck.com if you wanted to go that route that bolts on to where the compressor goes. You wouldn't have to downsize your belt and its still routed correct. However, it is more expensive than just going with a smaller belt.
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not all of the 98s had AC. They do have a belt that is for trucks without AC. It will work fine.